NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Walnut Shell Gravel???

poochbabe

I have always used ground walnut shells as a litter at the bottom of my cockatiel and Grey cages. My Grey cage has a top tray as well and my baby girl, Ruben, never tried to eat the stuff but my new baby was up on the top today munching a bit on it. Any danger???

Marietta

Trays shouldn't have any items in it that can attract and hold dust. That includes what you're using as well as any types of sawdust or wood chips. Eventually, a bird will get attracted to walnut shells or wood chips and even pet litter that people use in cages. There's a danger that some very tiny piece could get stuck in the bird's throat or get imbedded under the tongue as well as taking in dust.

Play it safe and use plain black and white newspaper which birds don't particularly like eatin. They like to shred paper.

PS--newspaper is the easiest to discard and also the most inexpensive.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/03/02 03:33

Thanks, guys. I will take the walnut out and put plain papar instead. I appreciate all the great advice. I wish I had known about this site before now. I made many mistakes for the past 12 years with my birds and maybe Rubes would still be with me if I had known about you before.

M