NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bringing home my first grey tomorrow

reap76

Hey ladies and gents,

Bringing home my first grey tomorrow(hopefully)(first parrot) and am very nervous and excited. I hear horror stories about the littlest things can cause a grey to become a plucker and pray that doesnt happen. They say the best bird is the bird that picks you so we will see what happens. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in personalities between male/females. I've been getting conflicting answers from different breeders. Some say that they have dimorphic personalities, others say males are more aggressive. Any input would be appreciated.

Hi Reap76, welcome here! Well congratulations on getting your first grey, I bet you really are excited! Yes, if you can let your bird chose you that really is best, if there is more than one to chose from. As far as personalities go it really just varies from one bird to the next, not so much a difference between sexes but every bird is an individual.

Greys are very sensitive to the world and plucking is always something that people with greys must keep in mind. There are certain things that can cause the onset of plucking and we all just do the best we can! I hope you will look through all the rooms on this forum for lots of good advice concerning diets, cages, health, etc. If you have any questions just ask away. And please post a pic once you have some of your new baby!

Welcome Reap76!!

Your Grey will be fine whether male or female. Each is an individual and you just won't know about it's personality until you get it home, settled in and become used to one another.

Looking forward to hearing how the first day home goes. :-)

Hi, Reap76,

Congratulations on getting your Grey! Is it a Timneh or a Congo (Timneh's have a very faded maroon tail, and Congo's have a bright red tail)? Have you picked out a name?

Spencer, my Grey, has been home for about a month now, and he (or she) is still getting settled in. Just go at his (her) pace.

Enjoy your Grey!

Ralph