NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

First avian vet visit

chimaysmommy

Our CAG will be here in about three weeks, and we've already set up an appointment for his first visit at the avian vet. This vet was chosen based on good experience had by my mother and my childhood TAG, but if it hadn't been for that we'd still be using him since he's the ONLY avian vet anywhere in our area. Are there any sure-signs to look for so that we know we're not only at the only avian vet, but a GOOD vet? I want to make sure he's not a quack (no avian pun intended. :P)

Experience--recommendation---good results!

Many people don't have that advantage but anyway, you're jumping ahead of yourself right now. A new parrot's first time to a vet is usually a *well check*. That's a process that all decent avian vets do. After you get the all clear, than you can start checking out other vets for the future. The worst thing that can happen right now is that many tests could come back bad but if the people you bought the bird from are good people, the chick is probably in decent shape. So basically, calm down.

PS---""avian vet, but a GOOD vet?"""

If he's a genuine avian vet, he probably is a good vet. Maybe not the best around but for what you're having done any avian vet can do it<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/02/27 00:16

well, if you're looking for the best vet, you'll need time to do that and it can be done after you've finished the initial vet visit. You say that he's the only one in town. So, that means that you'll have to expand the amount of distance in order to find one and that's gonna take time and you should do it in a relaxed fashion. For this first visit you should have no problems with him. A *well check* is pretty simple to do. It's probably one of the easiest procedures that avian vets do.