NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Congo African grey cage size

shiela09

Hi all, I just brought in home my baby congo, she's about 4 months and really cute. at first i bought a 22" by 22" cage for her ... then heard that it's too small. so im planning to get a 26" x 36" but the bar spacing is 1" and i'm wondering if anyone has a cage with that size of bar spacing and is ok with it? you know i dont want my baby to end up with a broken leg or wing!<br><br>Post edited by: shiela09, at: 2009/02/26 23:30

one more question! I'm planning to get that big cage and put it away from my living room which is gonna be upstairs(I have a one bed with loft) which the loft is my office. and then planning to get a playstand and put it in the living room. so when i'm downstairs and home she'll have a play time and when I'm out or at night's will have her separate cage time!

Could you give me a tip over this matter

• 2 months later...

Greys usually like to be where the family is but if you are going to have your grey out when you are home then it doesn't matter as much where the cage is but he/she will want to be where you are and a playstand is fine for that.

As far as bar spacing you don't want to go any wider than 1 inch but the cage should be plenty big so they can open their wings and flap without touching the sides.

That should be fine as long as your Grey is where you are when your home thats the main thing they like to be where the action is so to speak he will want to be with you when your home. But I think its good to have your cage away from the main part of the house so when its bedtime he can sleep without being disturbed. Or you could use the smaller cage as a sleep cage and put the bigger cage where the action is in the livingroom.

Ana Grey's main cage is in my office, because I am there most of the time. It's a great place for her because she goes to bed at 9:00 pm and she can have quiet and lights out time there because the room is vacant from 9pm/10am. She also has her travel cage in the living room for company time and her window perch for TV time. Her boing is in the kitchen/dining room so she can help in the preparation of and partake in dinner with the family. I believe your grey should be fine!!

The 26x36 should be ok. Like the others said, having your bird hang out with you, or near you when you are home is the important part.

The ideal is to get the largest cage possible for your bird, but our homes can't always accommidate large cages. When I got Sam, the previous owner gave me a choice of two cages. I could have had a large, tall cage, but this would have to go in our familyroom in the back of the house. Now that my daughter has moved out, this room is used infrequently so I chose the smaller cage which fit perfectly in our livingroom. When I'm home his cage is open, with toys on the outside so he has room to roam and goof around. I have a simple playstand that I can take with me to the kitchen so Sam can help prepare dinner - official taste-tester you know (or food-flinger depending on his mood). Later in the evening he gets lap-time where I watch TV while scratching him or, like now, type on the laptop. Type, scratch, type, scratch, type with one hand, scratch with the other. :silly:

A Grey in a smaller cage with lots of stimulation, playstand time, and time with you is more important than a Grey in a large cage sitting quietly by himself. Bordom and lonelyness are bad for such a smart social bird.

Tom

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I have a very nice heavy duty cage but it's on the smaller side. 24 x 24 x 36. I live in a smaller 2 bedroom house and I don't have room for a much bigger cage or the money right now. As of now I can have my birds out for 6 to 8 hours on weekdays and 10 or more hours on weekends. Is this cage size completely unacceptable? I was thinking about getting her a new cage in a year or so anyways.

ricoarmenta

The cage is very acceptable. Usually a cage is a little larger than that but since you give your bird all that out of cage time, the cage will be fine. If the cage is only 36 inches high without a base, then put the cage on a small square table approx 26x26--28x28 inches. You should do fine. Money is tight nowadays for everyone.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/13 06:16

thanks dave. It helps a lot. And I'm planning on getting a bigger cage in a year or two. It's just with the price of the grey, cage, all new toys, perches, a vet visit, formula, a new brooder, so on and so on it gets expensive. But I'm a huge worrier and my birds only get the best. And the cage itself is 36" high. With the base and wheels it's 58". Thanks again!!!