NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

promoting talking

kehar888

Good question I to have a grey who seems to love to make sounds and says a couple of words, but those he does he says clrealy over and over again. He's coming up on 2 next month and I had the same question.

The best way to encourage greys to talk is to make it exciting and associated with something you are doing like "Lets get some cereal" or "Be right back" or the description of an object like "Apple", Almond, Peanut, Ball etc. Ensure you use the word(s) consistently with the associated action or item. They will pick up on that on your excitement over it each and everytime you use those words.

It could take weeks or months before you start hearing them, but you will. An example is, my Grey had heard the word Apple every time I gave him a piece. Months later my wife was chopping up veggies like broccoli, carrots etc. My Grey looked down, then looked up and said "Apple!!". She ignored him and continued, He walked right up to the bowl, looked int and said "APPLE!!" again. She finally got the message and cut a few pieces of Apple for him.

The key is consistency over and over. Thats when they realize what you are saying is actually useful to them and a way to communicate with you. :-)

You will notice when you say something new and with meaning, they will be staring at you very carefully and listening.

It has gotten to the point now, that my Grey will understand and use an entirely new sentence in 2 to 3 days after I have used it consistently. Once they start, they can take all you feed them learning wise.

Thanks so there is hope haha because either way I care for my bird very much but i just thought maybe he's a dud in terms of the talking, he is very smart he knows how to get what he wants. Thanks again for the one who asked this question and to who responded, very much appreciated.

Thanks so there is hope haha because either way I care for my bird very much but i just thought maybe he's a dud in terms of the talking, he is very smart he knows how to get what he wants. Thanks again for the one who asked this question and to who responded, very much appreciated.