NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Oily Bird - Help Needed

Quickdood

Hello,

Today I told my wife to give my bird some red palm oil because it is good for her feathers. Unfortunately we had a misunderstanding and instead of giving it to Lily on a cracker she give Lily a bath with red palm oil in it. Now Lily feathers are oily and orange. Does anyone have a good idea on how to get this stuff off her, my wife tried to give her another bath and it isnt coming off.

Thanks,

Greg

I assume that the palm oil was mixed in with water? If so, the naural dryness and dander underneathe the skin will eventually dry out the oil and it will slowly fall off. Your bird will also help in taking it off but it's gonna take awhile. In the mean time, give your bird frequent baths in warm water because warm water will help the oil rise up off the feathers. There is no quick way to wash off the oil though.

Dawn is awfully harsh to their skin. I WOULD NOT use it. Also, after they are done with the bath, they will preen, it will be almost impossible to get all the soap residue off their underlying feathers and skin.

A call to your avian bet is the best advice you can get.

I agree that dawn dish liquid may be too harsh to use on a grey's feathers and skin and may be next to impossible to remove all residue. I would go with Dave's recommendation to just give frequent baths and let nature take its course, but you can always consult your avian vet for another opinion.