NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African grey talon injury

koppenberg34

I have a congo grey that managed to make his way to the top of my bathroom door by climbing my bathrobe (which hung from the hook on the backside of the door). I inadvertently closed the door (not very hard) on his talon, and a small amount of blood began to drip from what I would characterize as the nail bed, or cuticle. Closer inspection revealed that the cuticle had separated appx. 1/16" from the talon over the upper half of the talon/cuticle interface. I quickly dripped a few drops of hydrogen peroxide into the wound site, then dipped the talon in the small container of "Stop Bleed" I keep in case of a nail trimming mishap. This adequately clotted the bleeding. My concern is with the fact that after 3 days, he seems to be favoring the uninjured foot, and stays off of the injured one by keeping it raised. I realize that this seems completely logical, but having no experience with this type of injury, I can only hope I've not overlooked something. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

If you know how getting a finger or two slammed in a car door, thats what that damaged talon feels like right now.... It Hurts and for more than a few days!!

As the others have said, if your worried, go to the vet. It is possible that a fracture or break could have occur ed. Their bones are paper thin.