NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Alex & Me

shannon

This may have already been discussed and if so, I am sorry, but I am new. I am reading (and almost finished with) Dr. Pepperdine's Alex & Me. It is such a good book, I mean it just is so interesting and enjoyable and I really would not have thought that about this type of book.

Has anyone else read it? I also wonder was it ever determined as to why Alex died so young? Is Griffin stepping into his role a bit (I mean I know there will never be another Alex, but her research has taught so much, I hope Griffin or another Grey can fill those shoes at least a little).

Shannon

Parent of Omar & Ozzie Hall

I just finished reading it a couple of weeks ago and loved it too but yes this has been mentioned and fairly recently but it will serve as another reminder to others for a good read.

I am not sure what the findings were about Alex's death, it may have been heart related but there are others stepping into the role as Alex may have been the first to be used in such testing of learning skills but he will not be the last by a long shot.

I have read "Alex and Me" and found it very informative and inspirational. I found this on the internet about Alex's cause of death.

"Alex died on September 6, 2007.[13] Alex's death came as a complete surprise; the average life span for African grey parrots is fifty years.[14][6] He had appeared healthy the day before but was found dead in the morning.[1] According to a press release issued by the Alex Foundation, "Alex was found to be in good health at his most recent annual physical about two weeks [before his death]. According to the vet who conducted the necropsy, there was no obvious cause of death."[1][3] According to Pepperberg, Alex's loss will not halt the research but will be a large setback.[3] The lab has two other birds, but their skills do not approach Alex's.[3]

On 4 October 2007 The Alex Foundation posted the Pathology results: "Alex died quickly. He had a sudden, unexpected catastrophic event associated with arterosclerosis ("hardening of the arteries"). It was either a fatal arrhythmia, heart attack or stroke, which caused him to die suddenly with no suffering. There was no way to predict his demise. All of his tests, including his cholesterol level and asper levels, came back normal earlier that week. His death could not be connected to his current diet or his age; our veterinarian said that she has seen similar events in young (<10 year old) birds on healthy diets. Most likely, genetics or the same kind of low-level (impossible to detect in birds as yet) inflammatory disease that is related to heart disease in humans was responsible."

I love to listen to audio books as I drive (to and from work and trips), its makes the drive just fly by and if the rush hour is bad, my anger levels are not effected as I am happy to be listening to the book.

I loved the Inheritance Cycle books for this (that is where I got my birds names from), and have been wanting to get "Alex & Me" for my next book. I just found it at a resonable price on Audio CD.