NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

about to be a new 'mom'!!

GorgASS

after 10+ years of wanting a grey i'm finally about to get one! i have about a month to wait and i am nervous as can be, but so excited at the same time. just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone here, and comment on how helpful this website had been so far. as i've said, i've wanted a grey for years, so i've done a lot of general research on them, but now that i'm about to get one i've been doing more specific research, like diet and such. i was begining to get a bit worried cuz i wasn't finding anything too specific until i stumbled upon this site. i feel like anything i want to know is already here or if it's not all i have to do is ask. so i just wanted to say thank you to all the members...you all seem to really care about your own birds as well as informing anyone of whatever you know. so again, a big thank you and i'm sure i'll be visiting this forum quite often! i'll let you all know when i get my baby (not sure if it's a male or female and i'm still trying to come up with a name lol)

ooh...i forgot to add...i haven't gotten a cage yet. i'm looking at a few and i really like an oval one. i've never seen one like it before and i think it's really cool looking. i read (somewhere) that cages that aren't square or rectangular aren't good for birds because there isn't any corners for them to 'hide' in. my 2 parakeets are in a dome-top cage, wouldn't that be kinda the same thing as no cornered cage? anyway, does anyone have any input on getting or not getting an oval cage, or does anyone have their cag in an oval cage? any input at all would be helpful and very much appreciated! thanks

Welcome GorgASS !!

It's nice to hear you have found this forum to be helpful, informative and friendly. :-)

IN regards an oval cage. They are not recommended mainly due to the wear it puts on a Parrots tail feathers specifically. Thus, the reason you have not seen many like the one you describe and most parrot owners would not purchase for their Grey or other Parrot.

You will see most purchase large playtop cages or scalloped that open at the top.

It's nice to hear you desire to have a Grey for so long is becoming a reality and your doing all your research and preparation in advance looking forward to the bird day your Grey comes home.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

Hello GorgASS and welcome to the family, so glad you found us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey of yours.

We think this is the best site on the internet for greyt information and we do have a lot of knowledgeable members who go above and beyond to help one another out with their bird's problems.

Is this grey your first parrot?

I have a split level cage, one side is lower and has a playtop on it but the main requirement is to have a cage that is big enough for them to spread their wings and not touch the cage sides. I don't recall ever seeing an oval cage, maybe you can post a picture of it for us.

As you already know we do have a wealth of information in our many threads so continue to browse thru them for lots of useful advice and ideas and don't hesitate to ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Hi and welcome.This is a brilliant site and you will find everyone very helpfull. We do really care about other people as well as the parrots and you will get any advise needed. Please keep us all informed about your grey and I would love to see some photos of him/her when you can as well as the oval cage,I have not seen one.

this is a link to the cage

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110353119423

i really like this cage. i've never seen one like it either...i think that's why i want(ed) it. and danmcq do you know why an oval cage isn't good for the tail feathers? (as opposed to a square shaped one?) i've heard that before but never why. or if anyone else knows. this is my first parrot (i have 2 parakeets...actually they're my daughters) and even though i really want the oval cage i won't get it if it isn't 'good' for my parrot (obviously) i just don't really understand why the shape of a cage would effect tail feathers. the breeder i'm getting him(or her) from said she'd send me some pics mon. or tues. so as soon as i get them i'll be sure to get them on here (if i can figure it out lol)

Thanks for the link.I have never seen a cage like that before.I would stick to the more conventional cage if I were you.I think it would be hard to set up with toys and such and provide no straight climbing area for the grey.

Welcome. I'm excited for you! Just be ready for a full time committment. Grey's are awesome but they do like to be the center of attention (or at least mine does..lol). Are you getting a baby or an adult. There are advantages and disadvantes to both. Can't wait to hear all about your new addition! Please keep us informed.

As I said, their Tail feathers drag behind them as they climb around the side of the Cage in circles.

Also,many people have expressed concerns that round cages are psychologically bad for parrots. It is believed that birds are uncomfortable without a side and/or corner to perch next to and spend a lot of time going in circles around the cage searching for a "secure" resting place.

Thus, round Cages are not recommended for Parrots.

In viewing this Cage. the bars do not look thick enough and the front door is flimsy with out a strong latch. That is just asking for your Grey to bend the bars or open the door easily.

Also, there are no vertical bars for them the slide down and the cage narrows at the top and bottom. With the narrowing, as you Grey flaps it's wings down from a slip. they will beat the sides of the cage where it is narrowed.

It's your call obviously, but this is not really a Parrot cage.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/02/22 20:23

after i read about oval cages not being good i decided not to get it, i just wasn't sure WHY it wasn't good for a bird, so i'm glad you gave examples of why it's not good instead of just saying it wasn't (like the websites i've found) so thank you. this is a link of the cage i've decided on. (unless someone doesn't think it's good enough, and i'm not being facetious, i really want peoples opinions! after all, if i'm gonna spend a few hundred dollars on a cage i'd rather get a good one from the start)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130285822600

or if anyone has any suggestions on a cage please feel free to let me know!

Hello GorgASS- welcome here! Glad to see you are doing your research before bringing home your grey. That second cage looks great and its a good price too for one that size. The play area on top is always nice to have too- my bird really enjoys spending time on top of his cage.