NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

6 year old Congo's eyes

Luckybap

I have a 6 year old Grey Congo. I have noticed recently that the blue/dark color circle around the outside of the eye/white skin outside seems to be getting darker. Is this normal with age or something I should be concerned and visit the vet about. Seems fine does sneeze a bit but it is very dry in my house do to the heat. Any help appreciated. Beth

Your IM that you wrote and this post you wrote don't seem to be the same so i'll just go by identification

The center of the eye is called the pupil. It's brown/black and will always remain the same.

The entire white area surrounding the pupil is called the iris which will end up darkening to a pale white/yellow color. It's very slight and a person needs to check it out a couple of times because the difference is so slight. That happens after a bird reaches maturity which is APPROX 5/6 yrs old. Eyes remain that color.

The black area that cover the entire edge of the whole eye is the eye lid which is dark and can only get darker but that's extremely hard to see.