NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

do they mostly get no touch?

md2020

Thank you everyone once again. A little worried about the post over here on the left with someone saying the greys often do not let you touch them after they are adults. Is that universal? I've heard amazons get hormonal. In fact, I have heard of several owners who had to give them away after sexual maturity. I thought the greys were a bit more even keeled. If you continue to give them attention, will they not like to be pet like most other animals?

Amazons are NOTHING like Greys... Don't mix them... I owned an Amazon and it was a nightmare..

I want you to imagine you spend your entire day doing your hair... I really mean the entire day... Then all of a sudden someone comes in and messes your hair up.. How's that make you feel?

Now think of birds.. What are they doing most of the day? Grooming themselves? Yes.. so does it make sense that they don't want you to touch them? It does.. Respect them for that...

That being said.. If you work with the bird everyday you will be able to touch them.. I do with Ceasar. But again.. it's within reason... Birds are not puppies.. When you understand this you will have a much easier time dealing with the NO TOUCH policy....

I know you want to cuddle them.. and you can... try this. Get them in a blanket at night.. Cover them up.. They go into a trance.. You can do whatever you want to to them at this point... Try it... You'll see.....

Welcome to the family.. I would call it a forum but that's not what this is......

Guest briansmum

your grey is only a baby md2020 the more you touch her(?) now the more chance there is that she will be fine with this all her life.. it will be on her terms though, everything is always on a greys terms :laugh: no they aren't generally known for their "cuddleability", but there is no reason why they shouldnt enjoy a good head scratch. i certainly don't think it is universal that greys stop letting their owners touch them after a certain age. they don't like being touched when they are molting, and sometimes females lay eggs, she probably wouldnt want to be touched during this time. maybe someone with a female could give you more info on this.

Working with a bird everyday does not mean you well be able to touch them and them like it for their entire lives.

My amazon is 25 years old. For 7 years the breeder that had him though he was wild caught and not tame. Then one day he got attacked by a racoon and the breeder found out the bird was tame.

This amazon now lives with me and is the sweetest bird. Never bites and loves to have his feathers ruffled.

On the ohter hand my grey whom I have had since she was 6 months of age just up and decided one day she did not like her feathers ruffled.

Both these birds get the same everyday attention. She will let me touch her but only if I make her and she will try to bite when I make her. I have to towel her first.

It happens, some birds dont like to be touched. Its normal so dont beat yourself up if your bird don't like it. It don't mean she/he don't still see you as his specail someone.

I still have just as close a relationship with my grey as I did when she use to ask to be petted. She dont ask anymore but thats ok she is still my baby.

It can go the other way too. Casper's nearly 2 now, and I've had him since november (I know he's still a baby!). When I first got him he'd bite me even when he 'asked' for a head scratch. Now he's beginning to snuggle in close for cuddles. As the others have said, I think it just depends on how they're feeling. And I love CDs hair analogy!

J xxx

{Characters-0002005D}

Guest Monique

If you want a cuddly bird, Greys are not cuddly. Cockatoos are cuddly. Macaws and Amazons are more physical birds. Amazons can be a little more assertive and I wouldn't recommend them as a first time bird. As adults, Greys should tolerate being touched all over so that a vet can examine them and so you can clip their wings (if desired). Most greys prefer head scritches (at their invitation or after their permission) once they become adults and not a lot of cuddling. There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule as far as liking pets more vs. less but the general rule is Greys are not cuddly. They are more independent and interact on more of an intellectual level. I don't know if that is the "best" way to describe it because all birds are smart but those are the best words that are coming to me right now...

judygram wrote:

I wonder if CD has ever spent a whole day grooming his hair, I doubt it, but he has a way with words thats for sure.:laugh:

Yep.. I spend TONS of time on my hair.. Here goes.. Out of the shower.. towel it somewhat.. A small amount of gel is spread out in my left hand.. I rub my hands together.. then I rub the gel all over my hair... Next comes the brush.. The hair gets brushed back... Out out comes the rubber band... and presto.. complete.. All of about 2 minutes.. :P

Guest briansmum

men with long hair *rolls eyes* my other half has long hair and he spends more time brushing and faffing with it than i do!

Guest briansmum

oh no, i love long hair on men, the longer the better! i don't love waiting for the bathroom, finding all my shampoo gone and picking long black hairs out of my hair brush :laugh:

Ahh.... Well, I'm the fastest at getting my hair done... The routine I layed out above is truely the whole story.. Literally minutes... Pony Tails are GREAT... :P :P You woman have had it made for YEARS... Lucky you.. but I do use up all the shampoo.... ;)<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/06/02 15:20

Actually, CeasarsDad I am addicted to my ponytail. It might sound real weird, but it is so. I'm even afraid to cut my hair, because I cannot without my ponytail. I don't know how to explain it, but have tried many times to let my hair hang lose and tortured myself while doing it :blush:

I used to wear my hair long but once I cut it short, short I can't stand to feel it on my neck so it gets cut often.

Long hair on men, it depends on the man some can get away with it and some cannot. I believe CD gets away with it.:lol:

Ya, I wonder what CD would look like with short hair. Maybe someone, like Talonsis should take his picture to photoshop...........and see what she can do.

Just for fun Cd! I know you already tried that with that second photo, but I think Melissa could do better!:P