NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

taking the plunge

gordonsmithe

Well I have my grey finally. I decided to just go ahead and do it rather than to over annalyze the prospect of getting one. Her name is Vontease. She is a 15 year old grey. Her old owner couldn't keep her anymore because of health problems, so I decided to open my home to her. At first I felt overwhelmed by having such a sensitive creature in my charge and I didn't know if I was up to the task. I have had her for three days and she seems to be coming out of her shelll bit by bit. She is starting to talk; she says, hello, hi there honey, pretty bird, and water. She steps up and plays on top of her cage. So far so good. Will keep you posted on her progress. As per our agreement the previous owner will be stopping by periodically to visit with Vontease to help her transition go more smoothly. She will bee over tomorrow in fact, so we are both looking forward to that.

I'm thinking too that allowing the previous owner to come and visit with Vontease may not help the transition, it could make it worse for her, it might confuse her as she might think they are gonna take her home. Sometimes it is best to make a clean break especially if they had a tight bond.

If you do allow them to visit pay close attention to how she reacts for if you get any kind of feeling that it is stressful for her then cut the visit short and explain why you are doing so. The welfare of Vontease has to be the highest priority right now and not the former owner.