NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Does your bird like to bathe?

Lyric

Sadie Grey was cracking me up this weekend. I started off giving her a bath by squirting her with a spray bottle. I had a little dish of water on the table with her in case she wanted a drink while she was playing. After a few squirts of water she jumped right into the dish of water and started playing and having the greatest time. It was so funny- by the time she was done she was soaked and the kitchen and I were also totally drenched. I could tell she was having the greatest time.

When I give Lyric baths, I sometimes have to chase him around the kitchen with the squirt bottle- so it's funny to see the difference between them. Lyric has never jumped in the water dish! Sadie never seemed so enthusiastic about it before either. Here's a pic of a very wet Sadie Grey. wetsadie021309.JPG

wetsadie021309.JPG

Bella is torn about water. She has a shower perch and likes to sit on that. She's ok with my putting her on my hadn and holding her under the stream. But when I want to get under her wings and her belly she pitches a fit. But we do it anyway :laugh:

Nychsa wrote:

But when I want to get under her wings and her belly she pitches a fit. But we do it anyway :laugh:

I can just imagine Bella pitching a fit about getting under her wings and belly:laugh: :woohoo:

Jen that is so cute of Sadie Grey, all wet after jumping into the water, I know you wished Lyric would do that, just goes to show how individual they really are, thanks for sharing a pic of a very wet Sadie Grey.

judygram wrote:

Nychsa wrote:
But when I want to get under her wings and her belly she pitches a fit. But we do it anyway :laugh:

I can just imagine Bella pitching a fit about getting under her wings and belly:laugh: :woohoo:

:laugh: Judy - she says "NO ssssshhhhhht! GO du du du!!"

Rangi likes to bathe, he chatters away while he takes a bath. I fill up a plant base and he hops in and splashs about, even sitting on his haunches and spinning around in the water (what a mess that makes). I then squirt him as well and I tell him lift your wing and he lifts it up and I squirt underneath.

Kea is a little madam and will only bath when it suits her. She hops in and thinks about it for a minute and then very gently she lowers her chest into the water. If it's a good day she tries to role onto her side in the water. The thing is her wings seem to be so long that when they are wet they drag on the ground and she has trouble manouvering with them. It does look funny.

Both Charlie and Cracker love a bath in the kitchen sink. They stand in it and I spray them with a water bottle.Charlie spreads his wings right out and really enjoys it, Cracker even rolls over to get his belly wet sometimes.

Shanti seems to like water. I have spray-bathed him every morning with both water and an aloe vera mix since day one. It's part of the routine. I've also caught him dunking his head in his water.

He also has the advantage of watching the wild bird (mostly scrub jays, sparrows and mocking birds) who come to our outside bird bath about three meters from his cage. Good role models.

PekingeseMama there is definitely nothing worng with your grey. Both of ours hated it at the start and we worked with them for about a year every weekend with the bathing and we tried so many different things, times of day, water temp, places in the house, sink, bathroom, shower, flower base on the table, flower base on the top of the travel cage, squirting them on top of the cupboards etc.

When they finally decided that the flower base on the top of the travel cage was acceptable I whooped with joy and praised them, made a huge noise, gave them treats. I think they thought their christmases had all come at once.

Rexxy is kinda weird...

He LIKES the bathtub with about 2 inches of water.

He HATES the shower. Just screams even when the water is not even close to him. My husband ran in one day and thought he was injured. :laugh: Nope, just sitting on my hand ....then I slowly poured wated on his back. When he was done ....he was happy ...of course.

• 2 months later...

Malaki hated the shower when i first got him. I built a shower perch for him in the back of the shower and he gets the spray from my body. Now he loves it. He sings and flaps his wings and preens himself. It is awesome to watch. He does not like being in the direct stream of water though.

When Mali has his bath he likes to go in the shower with me so when my hubbie was getting a shower on Sat night he was running along the back of the sofa and then he was doing his Pick me up and let me join in dance as soon as he heard the sound of running water.