NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for info on leg band codes for Europe

SunnyBird

Hello All,

Does anyone know how to read the codes on the bands of the birds?

I know that my CAG Alex was born in 2008 but I would like to

trace the breeder in order to find out the bird's age. Can anyone tell

me how to read the codes on its ring, and if you know a website or

database I can search, that would really be great. I was told that

that the bird is from a breeder in Belgium.

These are the codes on the ring:

16 NB08 FQ22

The ring is blue coated aluminum.

Thanks very much for your help!

Renate

Athens, Greece

vascript:emotic('{Feel-good-0002006E} ')

Hey, I got a lead!!!!!! One of the few parrot yahoo groups I'm a member of told me about another Yahoo group called LegBandNumbers. The wonderful lady who manages the list helps people trace their birds. She got me my breeders name and email address. I will write to them today. Wish me luck!!

javascript:emotic('{Feel-good-000200BB} ')

Renate

{Feel-good-000200BB}

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All, I have great news!!!

Alex my Congo African Grey turned 5 months old on 20 February! His hatch day is 20 September 2008!

I contacted the breeder and after one reminder he did reply to me and gave me the info I asked for.

He said he was happy that one of their african greys made it safely to Greece. He explained that he breeds these birds but sells them to a trader at either 5 weeks of age or at 12 or 14 weeks, depending upon when they can eat independently. My grey was sold to a trader on 13 January 2009 (which means he was already weaned). He did not know who bought the bird after that. He would like to know how much I paid for the bird at the pet shop in Athens and he says I can contact him again for further info. Lastly, he wished me much success with my bird.

Again, thank you all who tried to help me, this has been really important to me. I think that all pet owners who treat their pets like a family member appreciate this sort of information. It can also help understand the psychology of your bird a bit better. For example, I am very happy to know that my bird did not spend a long time in the lousy pet shop where I bought him, that is probably why he managed to stay a relatively calm bird despite their lack of sensitive treatment.

Getting ready to celebrate Alex'es 1/2 birthday on 20 March!

My best wishes,

Renate and Alex, Athens Greece

P.S. I was estimating his age pretty well all this time - it's all in the eyes!!

Thanks!

http://www.greyforums.net/components/com_joomlaboard/emoticons/smile.png

Did you do the DNA sexing with the feather test or a drop of blood from the nail? I have a test packet from a company in the UK that does sexing among other things and is very reasonably priced. However, I hesitate to proceed for 2 reasons: 1) If I pluck out 3 or 4 chest feathers from Alex will I lose some of the trust I have been working to get? and 2) I read somewhere that those feathers need to be shipped overnight with an ice packet whereas there is no mention of this on the form the company sent me.

I don't want to put Alex through this and have the samples turn out useless!

Do you know anything about this?

Cheers, Renate