NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hello all

Deanna

hi I am completly new to African greys and got my first ever one on tuesday 10th feb! Hes called Marley and hes great he can wolf whistle and mimic the phone and I reckon hes trying to talk hes about 14wks old as he was a little late coming home as he stopped eating his seed! he is very friendly but very bossy and I have to be very firm with him I think he has learnt 'No' very quickly. The only fruit he really likes is Tangerines! He is very funny when he comes out of his cage I get all his bricks out and give him a bowl of differnt foods but he charges across the table growling and throwing his toys about and thanks to this forum I realise this is normal playing behaviour. I am going to try and make him a playstand soon. Before I got him I read lots of books and visited this site quite regularly, the only thing I find very strange is that marley is'nt scared of his new toys or new foods.I always show him the toys and hang them on the outside of his cage and within minutes he is playing with them. im sure this must be a good thing. Right?

Hi Deanna, welcome here. Sounds like your grey must have been exposed to lots of new toys and changes while growing up. A good breeder will do things to insure that a grey is not scared of new things and changes to it's environment- it certainly makes life easier for a grey as it matures. I can't wait to hear more about Marley,he sounds like a real character.;)

Hello Deanna and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Marley.

Yes you are lucky with Marley that he accepts new toys right off the bat but my Josey was like that as a new baby and now she is a little more inclined to be a little scared of new things. If you ever do have a problem just play with it yourself and show him it is nothing to be afraid of, some will more readily accept new things if you accept them first.

Bossy sounds familiar when you talk about greys, some like to rule the roost and others will be more laid back, just pay attention to their cues and you will do fine.

If you haven't already read them all do continue to read the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

I see a pic of Marley in your avatar but if you have some other pictures you would like to share with us we would love to see them.

Congratulations on your new baby Marley. I have had my baby grey, Ana Grey, for a couple of months and like Marley she has always been confident and unafraid. I agree with others, it is due to the love of a great breeder for her babies that give you such a confident and unafraid grey. Enjoy it. Pictures please!!!

Well, today Marley is definately saying something but i hav'nt a clue what it is he seems to only say it when im out the room! Ive been talking to him lots but knowing my luck it will be 'no Marley no, behave' lol, which is what i say to him when he is a bit pushy and tests my fingers with his beak!!

He is definately the best birthday present I have ever gotten!!<br><br>Post edited by: Deanna, at: 2009/02/17 11:01