NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey's Mating Dance

Ramsees2nd

He used to live within my wife's family which is in the same building since he was young, now I think he is 24 years old... they loved him much but didn't pay attention to his personality, training and stuff like that, I liked him and asked to take him they agreed and now have him...I am trying to follow leads on the net to get closer and closer, he trust me now but he is not trained at all and I am trying hard...but whenever I came near his cage "I am the 1st and only one who got him out of the cage" he starts playing with my fingers and starts the mating dance, I let him out and leave him on my shoulder and he starts this squeaking sound and I let him do what he do... is that correct or not, and if it is not.. How I can prevent that... And is it healthy or not, I don't know, I kept searching and searching to find an answer but no use, so anyone guide me here???

Welcome to the forum, Ramsees2nd :)

Against the mating dance there isn't much one can do. It's 'nature' as he feels it. But, you can try to build up standard actions (like putting him back in his cage when he starts this) and perhaps he can learn from that. I wouldn't in any way let him carry on with this mate dancing on my shoulder. That's a thing that's for sure...

It sounds like he has bonded with you. When he does this courting behaviour place him on his cage untill he settles down. Have you noticed any thing that starts this behaviour off? Are you stroking him or playing with his beak.Just limit petting to his head for now,not his back or under wings or tail.

Shelia is right, he does sound like he has chosen you as his mate and you don't want to encourage this at all and the back and under wings and tail are to be avoided when he is like this for it will only make him more excited.

Ramsees why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us some more about you and this grey.