NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Owner worried about African Grey

kayleetyler2

We just brought Abbie home. She is 6 yrs. old and she has spent one night with us and I am worried about her. She is shaking which at first I figured it was nerves from the travel but she had stopped. But today she is shivering and i'm worried she might be sick or something or it could just be me. She was sitting on my lap and I was scratching her head and of course she loved it but when I stopped she was making a noise almost like whining. And she also keeps lifting up her left claw like its bothering her when she is in her cage. She makes this sound that if my kids did I would think they were wheezing or something to that effect. But I am new and this could be normal and I am just paranoid. Please help.

Thank You, Melissa

Hello Melissa,

You are certainly a very attentive new Grey owner and I commend you for that. :-)

By shaking, I assume you mean the breast area feathers shaking which is normal if they are nervous. Now if the whole body if shaking, thats another issue.

The panting/wheezing you are describing is normal for a Grey to make when they are getting cuddles or scratches and want more.

Lifting or favoring one foot could indicate an issue if you can see any redness or open sores. If it is not visibly affected, it could just be the leg she prefers to lift when relaxing as most do.

Dan has pretty much answered your questions, the chest quivering is normal and holding up one foot is too.

You obviously don't know much about the grey but we will change that, just read thru the threads here and you will find the answers to most of your questions, do a search with a couple of key words and all kinds of threads will pop up for you to read.

Its like having a new baby in the house but you seem like you want to learn and I bet in no time at all you will be very knowledgeable about the grey.

Hello Kayleetyler2, welcome here. It wouldn't hurt to take your new grey to a certified avian vet for a checkup just to make sure she is healthy and all is well. It might put you more at ease anyway to rule out any problems. Plus it's good to know who you'll take her to for her checkups or if you have any emergency. Just a suggestion!