NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sometimes Rescue work is painful

Ajilon

As I posted in one of my other threads, I took over as rescue director for my local avian society. My first task was handed down 2 days ago and wow... was it ever hard!

We had a Citron Cockatoo in foster care that hadn't been doing well. Let me give you the backstory here, which is quite long.

As per club rules, no one who is not a member is approved to foster incoming rescue birds. In addition, they must sign a foster agreement identifying their rights and obligations and the ownership of the bird. In this agreement, they understand that rescue may remove the bird from their home for any reason.

Our problem began when we realized that Foster Agreement was never signed and unless she willingly allowed us access and handed the bird over, no one could legally retrieve it. Not even with a court order.

No one in the club could gain access to the woman's house to remove him. Several have tried and failed repeatedly to the extent that she would not let anyone in as long as they were affiliated with rescue. I talked to the woman last night for more than 2 hours, gained her trust and made an appointment with her this morning. I've dealt with people like her before, so I knew how to handle the situation.

I picked the bird up this morning to take him to the vet. He's lost weight, plucked himself to the point of bleeding and smelled horribly of cigarette smoke. Needless to say, he will not be returning to the foster parents.

Poor thing. He's in rough shape and declined this poorly in just 4 months.

He's safe now.

P1010402.jpg

Gina you are doing such a good job as Director of the rescue society and it is a job that not everyone could do, I know I could not handle it. This poor bird breaks my heart to look at him in the shape he is in but maybe he will turn for the better now that he is out of that situation.

Thanks for sharing a pic of him with us and maybe a few months down the road you could post another of him to let us see how he progresses, I hope he finds a loving home.

Great job Gina. I can't imagine how difficult those situations are and you're exposed to many of them (and will be in the future). I just cannot comprehend how someone who clearly does not and cannot care for the animals in their care will not give them up. It must be some sort of mental illness, just to varying degrees. I'm so glad you got him out of that environment and that the damage done will not have harmed him in the long run (the plucking, the CIGARETTE SMOKE...UGH!!!...).

These pictures and stories always bring tears to my eyes and make me go over and give all my feathered kids big treates, kisses, skritches, etc.

Thank you Gina and to everyone else out there who is able to help these birds. I feel so fortunate that all three of my birds came from homes that were not neglectful/abusive. I hope to someday be able to help a bird like this but I have a lot more to learn (and with three I'm currently at my max capacity).

Warmest regards,

Lisa

Poor bird.I dont know if I could do your job.I dont know if I could keep a cool head when faced with such a case. I know that is essential for the bird.I am just happy that he is now safe and getting the care he needs.Well done You.