NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Questions about a new grey

blln314

I would first like to say hello to everyone. I am new to the forum and also new to the bird world. I have never owned a parrot or any other bird but it is something I have always wanted to do. My life and life style has never allowed me to do so and therfore I have not but it is something I have always wanted to do. My fiance and I have decided together to take on this new and exciting adventure into the bird world and I have been doing alot of research on different species of parrots and what we would be looking for in a bird. I sort of decided on an Eclectus becuase of certain traits that are appealing to me however I have come across a unique oppurtunity recently. I have been presented with the oppurtunity to adopt a 7 year old African Grey. I have not yet met the family or the bird but have spoke with the owner. He said that he has had this grey since it was a baby and due to certain lifestyle changes he is unable to keep it. Here is my question(s:

1. Will this bird have a difficult time changing homes and leaving a family he has been with for seven years and if so is it something I could deal with or is it something a more experienced parrot owner should take on?

2. What should I look for when I meet the bird to see if I am taking on a parrot with serious behavioral issues and that is the reason they are trying to find another home?

3. What is the chance of the bird transitioning over to my home then later realizing that his previous owner is not comeing back then starting with behavioral problems?

4. Is this really something I should consider or just start fresh with my own bird?

Any and all comments are appreciated and if there are any other things you think I should consider please let me know. Thanks for all the help.

Hi blln - I noticed your post the other day, and I'm sorry it's taken so long for you to get a response!

You ask some very good questions, which are not necessarily simple to answer. The easiest one is #4: starting fresh with a baby bird would probably be easiest for you.

HOWEVER: you have obviously done a lot of research, and are you approaching the option of adopting an older bird very thoughtfully, which makes it very hard for me not to encourage you to keep going in that direction. I am speaking, by the way, as a person who chose to get a baby as my first bird, because I didn't think I'd have the nerve to re-home an older bird - for the very reasons you are being cautious. I do not regret my decision - I LOVE my Maxi! But after living and learning with her for a year I did take on a second bird who had a few more "issues", and I am getting at least equal enjoyment out of working with him and integrating him into the family.

How well the bird will adapt to changing homes will have much to do with the personality of the bird as well as with your ability to be patient as it adapts. Of course it will be an adjustment for the bird to switch homes after seven years. But many rehomed birds adapt quickly.

When you go to visit the bird, have the owner show you how he handles the bird. Watch to see how well it is socialized. Can more than one family member handle it? Will it let YOU handle it? (Don't be surprised if it won't at first: that would be a lot to ask!) Look around at the bird's current evironment (cage, toys, playstand(s), access to family, etc.) so you will know what it's used to now, and have an idea what seems worth continuing and what you might be able to improve upon.

There are many members on this forum with re-homed birds, and I hope some of them will answer you in more detail. I would encourage you to look around at the existing threads on here, too, while you are waiting for them to respond. Meanwhile, welcome here - and do keep us posted on what you decide to do - and how you make your decision!