NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Fact check

chimaysmommy

So in prepping for my grey's arrival, I bought "The Healthy Bird Cookbook" from Amazon.com and wanted to bring up a topic that made me raise an eyebrow...the author states that when she prepares chicken either for her cockatoo or her family, she'll allow the bird to chew on the larger bones. He cracks them open and eats the marrow. I don't doubt that the marrow is safe, but I was suspicious of how safe it is to allow bone-chewing. Seems to me that given the splintery nature of chicken bones, they could be dangerous if swallowed.

Does anyone here allow their greys chicken/poultry bones? Would a grey even have enough strength in their beak to crack a thigh bone for that matter?

I could be totally wrong in my suspicion, but figured better safe than sorry. :)

Thanks everyone!

I know some people are cautious about the bone spliters of a chicken bone and others are not. I have given my flock leg bones on several occassions and they really enjoy them. I have no doubt they could crack a leg bone in two but find they mostly chew the ends down and eat the marrow and toss the rest away.