NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Questions re Wild Caught Greys

Seasa

Hi, I have a few questions concerning a Timneh AG. This poor bird has been a wild caught bird, as he has one of those open rings around his leg instead of a normal breeder band. He is not tame but is very curious and to the current owner's surprise took a treat out of my hand very nicely several times without attacking my hand, which he usually does.

This bird has had 3 owners thus far from what these people can tell, but don't know anything else about his past. I know he is a mature bird as his iris has changed colors. My question is, is there any way to tell on a mature bird its approximate age?

These people were told he was around 4 years of age which apparently the vet aggreed to. However didn't the law to ban import of wild caught parrots go in effect in 1992? Is it common to still have young wild caught greys in the US?

Thank you very much for your help

Thank you.

It could be an older bird, i.e, pre 1992 ban.

OR, it could have slipped in under loopholes in the law ("ban" is too strong a word for the scope of the law), or -- more likely -- it could have been smuggled in.

Parrot smuggling is a HUGE business (wildlife smuggling in general is the #3 smuggling problem after drugs and weapons). Most smuggled parrots now come from Latin America, but some Latin American countries are centers of the worldwide smuggling trade, so anything is possible.

You can have a very good chance of having a good relationship with the bird because technically, it isn't wild caught. It may have been bred by wild caught parents though.

Let's see, in 1992 importation went into effect. If the parents were brought in the country in that year and bred that same year, the parents would have to been at least 4 yrs old which is a mature breeding age. Imported wild birds didn't breed as quickly in a captive situation right away. So now its 2009. That would make the parents at least 24 yrs old if they bred in 1992. but only immature and adult birds were captured Older birds were taken if breeding was the reason for capture. It was very easy to separate babby birds from adult birds during capture.

A possible agression problem may have to do with multiple owners. The bird goes from one place to another and isn't given the chance to become a part of any family. So, the maximum age your bird can be is 17 yrs old. You were told it's approx 4 yrs old. A 4 yr old bird is a very young bird who should be allowed to settle into a permanent environment but unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

Many breeders who don't deal with wild birds of any kind may not band their birds. Others do but many times the info on it is very technical.

Clasped bands( open are put on birds for many reasons but they fall into the same catagory as the others who are unclear.

If you've just obtained the bird it will take lots of time for the bird to come around to totally trusting you. He also may never do things that baby birds learn to do. Parts of his past history will always stay with him but you should have excellent results by using patience.

PS--the iris completely changes to it's permanent color by the age of 2 yrs old

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/02/10 21:08

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/02/10 21:10<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/02/10 21:11

Most birds that are in their 20's will look like they are in their 20's so if you TAG looks like it's only around 4 then I bet he was a captive bred bird with behavior problems due to the past owners.

Most birds brought in on a "black market" are the ones that are worth the smugglers time and effort...like the Hyacinth Macaw...not readily available birds like Greys.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2009/02/11 02:28

This bird was probubly captive bred but doesn't trust due to the fact that everytime he starts to settle into a home. he get given away again. My Tyco had 4 homes within 4 years and she took a very long time to settle down and trust me. Now with lots of love and tons of patient we have a wonderful relationship. I have had her for a year and a half now and it took 7 months before she would allow any real touching. It was well worth the wait. She is the most awesome bird I wouldn't trade her for anything. It has been very rewarding to help her become a ver happy healthy confident bird that she has always mean't to be.

Thank you everybody for all our input. I appreciate that. I do not have this bird as of yet, just went to see him to get a feel for him. However, I can already say that I totally fell for him. I know that it will be a lot of hard work and patience to get him to come around, but I feel strongly that we can accomplish the goal of him at least having a forever home and feeling happy and safe. The rest will come when he's ready.

Maybe him seeing me interacting with my GCC will help him see that human interaction can be fun. What do you think?

Thank you again for all your information.

oh yes I'm sure that what eventually got Tyco wanting scritches. She would watch all the other birds gettin affection and love she would stare intently when I was petting them and one night she put her head down so I could scratch her head. It was a huge step and ever since then our relationship has grown by leaps and bounds.

Seasa wrote:

However, I can already say that I totally fell for him. I know that it will be a lot of hard work and patience to get him to come around, but I feel strongly that we can accomplish the goal of him at least having a forever home and feeling happy and safe. What do you think?

Based on your statement. I say go get him. :-)

You already know what you are in for and are willing to go the long haul to get him rehabilitated. That Grey is very fortunate your destinies brought the two of you together.

Seasa, I am with the others, GO GET HIM!! I agree that he probably hasn't had the opportunity to bond and settle in to be a calm bird. It will take LOTS of time and patience. Just know that going in, and things will be fine.

As an example, I adopted a 2 1/2 year old cag this summer, I am her third home, and it's been 7 months with me, and she is still settling into her forever home. She is still cautious, and is just now starting to open up more and more as she realizes she is here for good. I think she's still not convinced, due to her past history. She was in her second home for only 5 weeks. :dry:

I realize your question has to do with the bird's age and not if you should adopt a wild-caught grey. I also agree that the bird you are looking at is very likely not wild caught. But, I figured I'd chime in on the subject of living with a grey that wasn't raised in captivity.

My parents had several birds in the house, back in the mid 80s. One of them was a wild-caught TAG. I in no way endorse the practice, but back in those days, my parents didn't know any better. That information, along with basic care, such as diet, psychological issues, etc., were a bit scarce at the time. Unless you lived near a really good avian vet, research hospital, or a very knowledgeable breeder, all you had left was your public library.

Much of that has changed over the years. I think we and our fids owe a great deal to the big information dissemination tool we call the Internet. Of course, you do have to watch where you get your information from! That's why all grey owners should be right here at Grey Forums, right?

Anyway, the point I want to make is that despite his being a wild-caught bird. he eventually integrated into our flock without issue. He did growl and scream a lot in the beginning, but that passed with time. My mom always tells the story of the time (once) he bit my dad and drew blood. If only they understood just how lucky they were!

Thanks all for all your input. The decision has been made and I will pick him up this Friday. I learned that he has been taken to an avian vet in January and was then pronounced a healthy bird. I will, of course, take those vet records with me to show to my own avian vet.

I'm calling him a "he" although he has never been DNA sexed, it has only been assumed that it's a "he" So that is on my to-do list as well, down the road sometime. Sooner, if any of you think that his gender may play a role in his behavior at this time and would be of importance to know in my training and bonding with him/her.

Are there any visual clues as to gender identification with TAGs?

Second - Apparently this bird has had as many names as homes thus far. He doesn't seem to respond to any of them, although he does say "G-nite Art" every night.

Should I give him yet again a new name, or use apparently the familiar "Art" or one similar thereto.

I would like for him to experience as much consistency as possible from the very beginning.

Thanks all.