NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

Hi everyone. My name is Doris and I have just adopted a ten year old grey named Layla. I just couldn't refuse her when my vet called to tell me that she had been abandoned at his clinic. She is a squawker and a plucker, so I am guessing that her old owner's were just in over their heads. They had tried to find her a home, but no one was willing to take in Layla. I am guessing because of her plucking. They did agree to pay the vet bill (she was tested to tyr to determine what was causing the plucking and it was not health related). They asked the vet to try to find her a home, so that is where I come in. I also have two doves, Lovey and Dovey and I have three finches, Carol, Candy, and Caren. They are society finches. Anyway, I am hoping to get some help with fixing Layla's plucking predicament and also would like some pointers as to what to do to combat her squawking. :dry: Good thing I live out in the counry!! No neighbors to complain!

Regards, Doris

Hello Doris and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Layla.

It would help if you could find out a little more information from where she came from but if not then you will just have to do the best you can, just be prepared for it won't be something that can be fixed in a short period of time.

I would guess she was left alone a lot and not given the attention she needed so she turned to other things to keep her busy, poor thing was probably calling out in frustration for being left alone.

I think you will have to put up with some squawking for a while until she learns she gets nothing for it but get lots when she is quiet. Ignore her when she is loud but praise her very much when she is quiet and she will eventually learn that quietness brings rewards. Give her a treat or praise her when she is quiet. This won't be too difficult a task if you possess a lot of patience for you are going to need it.

If she has been plucking all these ten years then it has become a habit and it may be next to impossible to get her to completely stop but no harm in trying. We do have some members here who have a plucker or have dealt with pluckers before and maybe they will chime in with their ideas and suggestions for you.

In the meantime read thru the many threads for lots of useful and helpful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of Layla you would like to share with us we would love to see them.

Hi Doris, I am a new grey owner so I don't have any experience with the problems Layla has. I just wanted to welcome you to the family. I believe patience and gentleness will help with the plucking problem. Poor Layla as had a very confusing and unhappy life. With the love and patience I believe you have, she will calm down, feel safe and loved and stop plucking and squawking. If you get a chance to take some pictures of Layla, we would love to see her.

Hi Doris.I wish you all the best with Layla.Plucking is a very hard thing to cope with.I am glad she has had tests to check out any physical reason, that is the first thing that should be done.Has she been plucking for a long time?. Give her regular baths, a lot of people use Allo vera juice to ensure the skin is not dry.Try keeping her beak busy with things like phone books to chew up, this will also help with the screaming.I would ignore totally any screaming,I believe turning your back and walking out the room without any talking or looking at the bird is a very good way to reduce screaming, also you must lavish the attention on her when she is quiet or making pleasant noise.I am a great believer in ignoring bad behaviour and praising good.Things wont improve over night.Also I not sure how long you have had her,she may still be getting used to her new home.This can take a while with greys.

Hello Doris, welcome here. Layla is a lucky grey that she has you in her life now to help her overcome her problems. You have already been given the advice that I would give as far as ignoring the screaming and bathing with aloe juice. What has Layla's diet been like? You may want to start making gradual adjustments to this after she is used to your home. For instance, add red palm oil to her diet. If she isn't eating pellets, switch her gradually to a pellet diet and also try to increase veggies. The plucking is more than likely a mental thing from her being bored, but it could also be caused or triggered by itchy skin or allergies. You may want to use a natural and organic pellet without chemical preservatives or food colorings. I hope you are able to help her and give her lots of love.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

Thanks for all the pointers. :lol: I do have some good news. Layla is no longer squawking or having her tantrums like she had for the first week. She seems to know that she has a home here and has decided it is okay to get comfortable and settle down. :) She is starting to whistle and make clicking sounds and she loves to imitate the phone ringing. I was told she knows how to talk, and I assume I will here her talking soon. I can't wait.

I saw her pluck when she first got home, but I haven't seen her pluck lately. I am hoping she will quit altogether. I leave her cage door open when I am at home, but she has not came out yet. She is a shy little girl. I am going to give her the freedom to fly. Her last owners clipped her wings and I feel this is partly why she plucks. Her last owners were smokers :( and I also believe this contributed to her plucking.

No smoke here and NO SMOKING ALLOWED.

Thanks for all your advice and I will be stopping by to give you more breaking news. :lol:

Regards,

Doris<br><br>Post edited by: dorisandfids, at: 2009/02/25 20:16

Hi Doris, it's nice to see you back here with an update on Layla. It sounds like things are getting better for her already. Her plucking could have been contributed to by either the wing clip or the smoking- allowing her to regrow her flight feathers and getting her in a clean environment should really help a lot. I'm glad you are giving her time to adjust and learn to trust you.