NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introducing myself

kar2nz

Judy suggested i introduce myself. I'm a 48 year old father of three boys. I work in an aquatics shop, and in a full blown pet store as well. My wife is currently seeking work in the I.T. field since being laid off after eight years. Our first sun conure is Urgo, whom we hand fed ourselves. Urgo is a sexed male, and is now about 9 months old. Our second sun conure is Icarus, a sexed female, whom we adopted from a couple who wanted to focus on their human child. Icarus had behavior problems that are now completely resolved. Our third sun conure is named Marty. He was transferred to one of the pet stores i work for from another in the same chain. Marty was a real biter, and hated being handled. Along with one of the other employees, we worked on Marty every day, and after about a month, he was the sweetest bird I've yet seen with adults. (Marty still doesn't trust kids.) Once Marty's adult plumage came in, he went on clearance, and I bought him. Marty and Icarus are clearly in love. They make out all the time. We tell them to "get a room". They just can't stand to be apart from each other. Next is a breeding pair of Green Cheeks, Gambit and Penny, who are 5 years old. I bought them recently from a lady who wanted out of the bird breeding business. And finally, Casper our Congo African Grey, who we adopted last night. The previous owner of Casper has a husband in ICU at death's door, and the doctors made her give up all her birds in a desperate attempt to keep her husband alive. My prayers go out to that family. Casper is male, and is already showing a preference to my wife. I don't know much about Casper yet except that he has some really bad eating habits. We are struggling to be a good family to him, but we are in unfamiliar territory with an African bird.

Post edited by: kar2nz, at: 2009/02/09 03:54

Post edited by: kar2nz, at: 2009/02/09 03:55<br><br>Post edited by: kar2nz, at: 2009/02/09 03:57

Hello and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a wonderful flock of conures and now a grey:) Congradulations. I too have several different parrots (including a nanday conure) and love every one of them. This is a great place to chat with other grey owners and alot of us have several different species. We are always here to help if you find you have questions. There are a lot of rooms here with tons of information to look through too. Can't wait to hear more about you, Casper and your conures.

Hello Kar2nz and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Casper.

My you have 3 sun conures, I only have one and she is a handfull but she was my first parrot and I guess she is about 4 years old now. She can be quite a character and clown so I can imagine that 3 would be a circus.

Well you have certainly came to the right place if you need some info on greys, we have many knowledgeable members who are willing to go above and beyond to help one another out with helpful advice.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them at your leisure and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of Casper you would like to share with us we would love to see him. We also have an other birds room where you can share some of the conures if like, I personally like the sun conures a lot.

Hi, I have a conure and an African Grey as well. I'm amazed at how loving and tame my conure is, I never thought he'd get as close to us as he has. I'm sure you'll fall in love with your Grey in no time...they are very special birds! Welcome to the group, there's so much information here and everyone makes you feel right at home!

Bobbi

I want to thank everyone for their encouragement and hospitality. B) Casper just climbed down off his cage, promptly walked over to my wife, and climbed in her lap! :woohoo: We expected a lot more aggression. His previous owner's mother said some members of the family referred to him as "Devil Bird". (Casper's previous mommy couldn't bear to bring me the bird herself, and sent her mom to me with him.) He does occasionally nip, but he's not what i would call aggressive. My wife is the only female human in the house. Should I assume he will only completely accept my wife, and become a "one person bird"? This was the arrangement with the previous family.

Hello Kar2nz, welcome here. Sounds like you have your hands full at the moment but it's really wonderful you found room to give Casper a great new home. We're all here to help so let us know whatever questions you may have.

I love the name Icarus for a bird- I always thought the whole story about Icarus was so tragic.