NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adopted Congo Grey

kar2nz

I've had a reasonable amount of experience working with birds others call "problem birds", and have been extremely successful. However, all the birds I've worked with have been South American birds such as Conures, Amazons, and a few Macaws. As of last night, I was lucky enough to inherit a five year old Congo African Grey. He's very different from what I'm used to. He's very polite about refusing to step up. Instead of biting, he lowers his head in submission. He's very reluctant to bite unless he's being pushed after refusing. So, my worries are not about aggression as much as two other concerns. First, I'm used to birds being a little more strong willed. Am I intimidating to him? His personality is quite subdued. Has his spirit been broken, or is he just adjusting to a new place? Also, this bird has been on a "Chef Boyardee" diet for five years. I kid u not, he eats vienna sausages, chicken soup, and ravioli. Oh yeah, he seems to like Mexican food too. :laugh: He just won't eat anything unless it's table food. What do i do to get him to eat some fruit, or pellets, or vegetables, or even muffins? Our other birds eat reasonably healthy, and I want this for Casper (Our Grey) as well.

Casper might just need a little more time to settle into a new home and feel comfortable, greys are slower to adjust to new surroundings and a new owner.

But I agree, that diet has got to go and it may take a while to wean him off his "Chef Boyardee" diet but it can be done. Offer him some of what you feed your other birds, he might not eat much or any of it for a while but I think sooner or later he will and maybe gradually he will start eating more healthy. You can continue to give him what he will eat but less and less over time. Some birds will refuse the good stuff for some time then finally start eating it so keep trying.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us some more about you and your flock, especially Casper.

I had a similar experience with Mischief our TAG. We adopted her last July (she is 9 this year), and she had never been given pellets. She was fed tons of seed mixes and table scraps. I wanted to make sure she was getting the proper nutrition, but she wouldn't touch the pellets. All she would eat out of her dish were seeds.

So, I gave her what she was used to every morning, but I put in a hint of the pellets. Every day I slowly increased the amount of pellets I put in her dish, and slowly decreased the amount of seeds. After about 3 months she was used to the pellets and now that is all she has in her cage dish. At first she would just throw them out of the dish, but in time she started eating them. She doesn't mind not getting seeds as much anymore because she gets her own portion of whatever I'm having to eat. :whistle: B)

I haven't had to many problems with diet with Tyco. But she is a rescue. I rescued her a 1 1/2 years ago and she will be 6 years old on Feb28. She was so hungry when I got her she would eat anything I gave her. Tyco took about 7 months before she trsted me enough to allow me to touch her. she wold let me touch her beak and even allow me to kiss the top of her beak but she would not let me touch her feathers at all. Then one night she put her head down and allowed me to give her a little head scritch and its been great ever since. She also would not step up onto my hand from her cage until just resently she would step up onto a perch and from the perch I could transfer her to my hand. She only started steping directly onto my hand in the last month or so. What I'm trying to say is that African Greys are very different from other birds. it may take a long time for her to feel comfortable in her or his new home. You cannot push a Grey to hard you must do things at his pace if you want to have a good relationship with him. patients is the key with African Greys. I also have many rescue birds and by far the African Grey took the longest to come around to trusting me. We have a absolutly great relationship now but it has taken a year and a half to get there.

Thx to everyone for their input. Wow, Tyco's mom. U really have a diverse flock. Is Gizmo a Hahn's? I have a freind at the aquatics shop i work for who recently aquired a Hahn's. I would also like to hear input about his personality. I am thrilled to say i think we won't have to wait a year and a half. He already allows the older children, my wife, and myself to at least pet him. He only willingly goes to my wife though. The rest of us can touch him, but picking him up is hit and miss for the rest of us.

To DavidH. Thx so much for your appreciation, but Adopting Casper is truly a thrill for me, not a labor. I just love the problem cases. Its so fulfilling! I'm so lucky! The wonderful birds I've managed to get at bargain prices, or for free. And they are all so cool. Overcoming obstacles makes it that much more rewarding. I just hope we are not finally out of our league here with a CAG.

To everyone once again, thx for sharing your input with us. We needed to know how this was going to be different, and your responses help a lot.

Greys are very much their own bird.Casper is still getting aquainted with a new home and people.Some are very loving an welcome cuddles and scritches others are very much hands off birds.It will be a while before you see his true personality. My advise is to take things very slow and at his pace.Yes his diet needs changing but again this must be done slowley. Gradually reduce what he is eating now with more appropriate food.He may be tempted to try new things because of seing your other birds eat them.I too think it is brilliant you took on a mature grey who needed a new home.

When I offer my grey something new, she has to see me eat it first. Then it still takes about 3 offers before she will take it. I taste it and make ummmm noises and then offer it to her.

Try sweet potatoes. Mine love them and they are so good for them. She likes them best raw and cut in french fry shapes. Also try a little chicken and scrambles eggs. Just about all grey like scrambled eggs. I only give them once a week.

Welcome kar2nz and great job on adopting Casper!!

As others have said, take it slow and easy with Casper and watch for of more interest in coming closer to you as time progresses.

Normally, when they have there head down as you try to get them to step-up is a sure sign you are going to get nailed if you don't stop.

Looking forward to hearing updates on how Casper is progressing and some photos. :-)