NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How is it determined what is best diet for Greys.

Janfromboone

I want to know how the "experts" know what the ideal diet for an african grey is. Apparently they are so reclusive that there have been no real videos or studies of them in the wild except the videos we've all seen of the locals netting them. How do "they" know what the birds eat then? I've read that the greys need more calcium and less protein etc. Anyone know what this is based on. I read the ingredients on Pretty Birds African Grey Special diet -- boring!! Oats and Corn????:blink: I guess I want to know if I can trust what they know, but what choice do I have anyway.:unsure:

I can only assume that they base it on diet deficiencies that have shown up over the years. Thus the need for calcium absorption by having sufficient levels of D3 to do so. Vitamin A deficiencies, thus they add it to the pellet etc. to include all the other vitamins and minerals they know they need.

It would be like humans being given "All" they need through pellets with vitamins and minerals included....

The bottom line is, they don't know what they eat in the wild other than they have observed them eating Palm nuts and foraging in the swamp areas that poaches steal them from.

They eat in the wild just like any other bird. What they find, they eat, mainly based on what on the menu season to season and area to area provide. ;-)

One reason I ask, is that Tobie having made it through a very heavy molt seems to be craving protein. He loves eggs, fish and most any meat. Tonight he ignored his fruits and veggies and kept looking at my plate and stretching his neck toward my plate. I cut a peice of rib eye and he held it in his foot and devoured it - a pretty big chunk. If feathers are made of protein it seems that during a molt a bird might need more protein. Another thing I've thought about is their beaks are shaped like a hawk, buzzard or other birds of prey and not like a nuthatch, chickadee, cardinal or other seed eater. My pellets though have oats, wheat, corn and vitamins and minerals. Odd, don't you think.

It is funny you have mentioned steak.Charlie always goes mad for some if I am eating steak,he too holds a piece and really enjoys it.I wonder if it is due to a natural desire for protein,he also loves egg ,fish and cheese.I agree about the beak thought aswell.Maybe in the wild they do eat more carion than we think.

Janfromboone wrote:

Another thing I've thought about is their beaks are shaped like a hawk, buzzard or other birds of prey and not like a nuthatch, chickadee, cardinal or other seed eater. My pellets though have oats, wheat, corn and vitamins and minerals. Odd, don't you think.

The hookbill was made for cracking open hard nuts and seeds. Also for wood carving holes in trees for a good nest. The beak is different from the hawk or vultures though in the leverage and pounds per square inch a parrot can apply.

Obviously, if "Roadkill" is found in the wild, they would eat as we see from their appetite when we eat different types of meat.