NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

To get or not get an African Grey

KyleA

Hello Eveyone!

As you can probably already see I am a newbie to this forum. I am not, however, a newbie to CAG's in the sense that I have longed for one since I was about 12 yeas of age and have researched diets, cages, toys, care, training, and even diseases for CAG's. I am now 18 almost 19 and have not lost the desire to own one. I lead a relatively busy life, I work 4 days a week from 9AM to 6 or 7PM. 2 days of the week are for school, During which time I am gone from 8AM to 4PM and I have one full day off to myself.

My question is: With this schedule would it be a good idea/possible for me to get a CAG? WOuld this be enough "at home" time to own a CAG? I do not want to buy one and then find out 3 or 4 months later that I cannot handle it. I would be DEVASTATED if I had to give up to poor animal. Anyways, If anyone has any advice or guidance on this matter please give me the straight honest answer on if I should get one or not!

Thanks in advance to everyone that replies!

- Kyle

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Kyle!!

Thank you for doing such tremendous research and putting so much thought into getting a Grey at this time.

At your stage in life, change is something that occurs in a much faster pace than once you are out of school, in to a career, perhaps married and moving quite often sometimes.

A schedule such as yours is doable of course for maintaining a Grey. But, is it realistic that you would be able to actually give your Grey the time needed on a consistent basis?

I am uncertain of what type of higher learning you are attending right now. But, the level of education you may be pursing could end up being very demanding of your time.

Also, starting out in a new career is normally very demanding time wise depending upon which field you are going in.

I know you wish to have a Grey and you will. It's just a matter of appropriate timing to bring one into your life. :-)

Only you can truly come to a decision on that, that you and the Grey can live with happily.

I think that if you do lead a busy life it would be in your best interest to spend all of your available time with your grey if you decide to get one. ive had my bired five years and sadly he likes my mom more now than he did myself because of me being busy all the time and having things to do. they are very demanding creatures and will want your attention. ive always been told you have to treat them as if they were a child. hestly tho i think you can pull it off but you have to give them as much attention as possible.

I have to give an opinion which may be different from others and it's not what you wanna hear.. Lots of this wouldn't apply if you had another person living in your home during the times that you're not there. many people say that they have birds plus similar hours and there's no problems but more problems can possibly arise in your situation simply because of your time schedules.

Greys need lots of time out of a cage daily and the ideal time to do that is when there's daylight.Your schedule keeps a bird in the cage for the majority of time during the day.

Many greys do develop problems when they're alone all day and caged. It may have to do with behavior, socializing and self mutilation. There are just so many things you can give your bird to keep him occupied. They need constant long term interaction with a person/people in order for their personalities to develop.

You're a young man who's concentrating on jobs that are considered full time. Those jobs will keep you away from your bird. You have one day off and yes, you may devote the whole day to the bird and feel that it's enough. I don't know whether college in in your future but that takes up lots of time.

In your near future, you have to think about girlfriends and socializing with present and new friends. A day off is the ideal time to do that. You may bring these friends to your house and because a bird doesn't know these new faces, it's very common for a grey to get spooked or fearful and very quiet until people leave. They normally stay in their cage, become very quiet and just watch what's going on. Greys don't take to strangers quickly if at all.

Many people have the same desire to get a grey who are in similar situation to yours but many times it doesn't work out for the bird.

Future problems--what happens if your grey does develop problems? What would you do? The problems could be behavior or medical. If you haven't spent loads of time with a new bird, that would mean that you'd have a harder time trying to decide what to do with your bird in case things happen.

I've seen greys who are by themselves all day and so many times problems have occured and those problems stay with a bird for good if those problems aren't corrected and this has nothing to do with any medical conditions.

What would you do if your bird became a plucker? Many greys will pluck from frustration and many don't get over the habit of plucking once it's started.

What would you do if your bird developed a medical problem being in a cage all day while you're not there? example. The bird starts flapping vigorsly especially since it doesn't get excersise and the wing gets stuck in the bars of the cage. If you're there, the problem can be addressed but if you're not?

Many people have good luck when getting a bird when those people are in the same situation as you. But it's just that, luck. What if you have bad luck?

There are so many other things I can mention that might happen or develop while you're gone but I'll stop here and just let you think about what I mentioned.

I believe that if you really desire a parrot then the best thing for you to do in your situation is to get 2 parrots that can live together all day and keep each other amused and active all day. You can't put 2 greys together in one cage and not expect problems. Even people who have 2 greys and those people are home all day find it necessary to keep each grey in it's own cage all the time.

So, think heavily about what you wanna do.

PS--If it was an Amazon parrot you were thinking of getting and you put that type of bird in the same situation, the amazon would become slightly obese from the lack of activity.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/02/09 05:51

Dave has brought up some good points with his post Kyle, and I agree with him that it may be in your future grey's best interest to wait a while before getting one. I know you have wanted one for a long time but what is a few more years as you are only going on 19 years of age.

When you are the only one in your house then that grey has to depend on you and you only for its care and attention. I do not believe you would be able to provide enough time and attention right now and I have to think about the grey's needs and not yours right now.

Face it, being single you will have as social life that will take you out of your house a lot and school obligations and with only you to provide for your grey I think he/she will suffer from too much time spent by itself and develop bad behaviors. I know you would not want that for your grey and if you wait until you know you can provide the time necessary for a healthy relationship then it will be for the best.

You are a young man with a whole life ahead of you, take a few years to enjoy some life, make friends, date and finish your schooling and then get a grey when you know you are ready for it for it is a lifetime committment.

Thanks for the replies! I've also read that CAG's are not AS needy as some birds such as a cockatoo. I know cockatoo's need quite a bit of attention or they will get depressed or even sick. I would completely spoil an African grey with treats, toys, and of course as much love as I could possibly give it! every time I imagine having a grey as my friend for the rest of my life I get really excited for a minute thinking it's possible to have one NOW, but then the excitement becomes replaced with some doubt and fear that I might not have enough attention for it. I would be able to give the CAG a good solid 20 hours a week at the least. Honestly, I am not sure if that is enough time. What does everyone else think?

Thanks again!

Kyle

Thanks very much to everyone!

Also, I failed to mention that it is VERY rare for our house to be totally empty. Whether it be my sister, mom, or dad, someone is ALWAYS home. My mom is currently unemployed and my dad is lucky enough to be able to work from home! I would be able to put a second cage/play gym in the family room where he'd get fresh air from the windows and interaction with people all day while I am away. Another thing I saw mentioned was a girlfriend or social life. Really, my social life is very slow, for two reasons. One: I've had the same girlfriend for around 3 years, I know, CRAZY for my age. But I am very happy! :) Second: All of my close friends have left for college or have actually left the country for various reasons. I have not, nor ever plan on, going to parties and drinking and socializing in that manner as the stereotypical college guy is thought of. I really want a Grey for a friend to be around all the time, like my dad has with his yellow lab. I do realize I have to face facts, which is why I haven't gotten one quite yet and have been seeking advice from people with more knowledge and experience such as yourselves.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Not sure if what I have just explained has changed any variables or not with me getting one but any other replies would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle

The only difference in neediness between a cockatoo and grey is that a TOO wants to be all over you all day long and will not develop if that's denied. It also exentuates their screeching. It doesn't mean that a grey isn't as needy. They're just as needy if not more because of all the things they require even though it isn't necessary for them to be all over you. 2 different species--both very needy but in totally different ways.

Hi Kyle, welcome to the family. Karma to you for putting so much thought into getting a grey. When I first read this thread I thought you lived alone. So what does your family think about your bringing a grey into their lives? I am now assuming that they well also be interacting into your grey's life.

I adore my Grey and getting him was one of the best things I ever did in my long life. But here are a few of the facts we all should probably think about. I posted this blog entry today:

"Top 10 Reasons for Never Buying a Parrot

I’ve written a lot about the many joys of life with Shanti. Here, however, are a few of the hard truths—-the top ten—=that people should know before acquiring a parrot.

1. You don’t own a tropical rain forest. You can no more simulate a parrot’s native habitat in your home than you could simulate a European vacation by putting a human being in a dungeon on the moon and giving her a plastic replica of Big Ben and the Eiffel Tower.

2. You don’t socialize with hundreds of other parrots. A parrot in the wild spends its entire life in flock. It is a highly social animal and is never alone. Let me say that again, slowly: ne-ver.

3. Although the importation of wild parrots to the US and Europe is outlawed (a good thing), domestic breeding of parrots is widespread and millions of parrots are raised for sale as pets. Breeders profit from producing and distributing parrots even though they know the birds will inevitably end up in inadequate—if not horrific and abusive—conditions.

4. Breeder parrots have a horrible existence. They are confined for life, in isolation, often in darkness, with only one other bird. The pair is coerced into copulating and mass-producing as many offspring as possible. If they fail to perform optimally as baby-parrot factories, they are killed.

5. Any parrot you buy in the US or Europe will have been stolen at birth from its parents, who are devastated by the loss.

6. Any parrot you buy from a breeder will have been deprived of even minimal parental care and nurturing. Mine was taken from his parents before he opened his eyes. This practice is promoted to the public as “hand-feeding,” a technique that is supposed to produce happier, better-adjusted, less aggressive parrots.

7. Parrots don’t like living being locked-down indoors, dependent on the schedule, moods, whims, health and stability (or lack thereof) of their human companions. They like living in a cage about as much as you and I would.

8. The essence of a bird’s life is flight. Even if you refrain from clipping your bird’s wings and build her a beautiful aviary, you can never re-create the freedom of flight in her natural habitat.

9. Your captive parrot will never do what s/he was designed to do: find a lover, mate and raise babies. S/he will be celibate and alone from birth to death, which might be fifty years or more. No love, no sex, no parenting, no descendants.

10. In its fifty-year lifespan, your parrot is almost certain to pass through several human hands. Your best-laid plans for his/her welfare are nonenforceable by law and likely to be blithely violated by future “owners” of your parrot. Your parrot has no rights, no legal protection and will have to be extremely lucky to avoid abuse and abandonment.

If you must get a parrot, take the high and hard road. Adopt one that already been abused, abandoned or rescued.

If you’re like me and found out the truth too late, or knew it and went ahead anyway, love and cherish your parrot forever. "

My family is fine with it. I have taken care of an African Grey for one of my dad's business guys for about a month. I actually did this twice and loved it! If I ever get a Grey I'm actually naming after the one i watched which set the spark that made me really want one! his name was Iggy! really good name for a parrot.

Anyways, My point is that my family and I have experienced having a Parrot in our house before and everyone has enjoyed it. They will also be interacting with it. Probably not near as much as I will be however. When I get one that bird will be with me EVERY second. except when I sleep, even then it will be in the same room as me. I'll even build it it's one little shower perch so it can shower where I do! once every couple of weeks of course, not every day. This may all sound lame and korny but this is seriously how strongly I feel about having a parrot. It isn't just a pet, it's a responsibility, a family member, and most of all - a friend.

-Kyle

Hi Kyle, You came to the right place to ask for advice and it's great you are weighing your decision out before you get a grey. I know your heart is in the right place and the desire is definately there and I'm sure you will be a great "parront" when the time is right. The others have given great advice and there is only one thing I'd like to add.

Lets say you do get a grey. You are all excited and happy but several months later the "honeymoon phase" is over and you realize your grey has bonded to your mom or someone else in your family? That is a very strong possibility especially if she is home all day. Grey usually do tend to pick a favorite and I would be concerned that your grey would bond with someoene else. :unsure: Then again, he may bond with you most, too but just because you get a grey does not mean you guys would bond when there are other family members socializing with him or her.

I have a grey and I work out of the house and we are very bonded. Baxter is friendly with my husband but I am the ONLY one who can pick him up. My husband can give him treats, pet him, play games with him but he can not pick him up without him drawing blood:ohmy: . How would you feel if your grey bonded with your mom or someone else in the family and it was obvious he really wasn't conected with you or bit you ever time you got too close? Lets say a year or two down the road you move out. Would you take the grey with you knowing it was bonded with another family member? This is just a differnt scenario to think out and a possibility that could really happen.

I think you will make a great "parront" eventually but in my opinion I do not think the time is right for you. I would be afraid that your grey would bond with someone else and because of the other reasons listed above were something to really think about too. Greys are a full time job and need alot of attention and dedication and I don't think your life allows that at this time. You sound very responsible but your time is consumed with all your schooling, etc. You are just at a very busy time in your life, that's all.

Also, you say you are in a serious relationship of 3 years. Ok, perhaps marriage to her or someone else may be in your future. Have you thought about having children. So many times here on the forum people have babies and decide to part with their grey:( and because a baby is born, the grey has to leave some households and get put into not so desirable homes. I am not sure why people think they have to get rid of their grey just because they have a baby because I feel like when you get a grey or any pet it is part of the family for life. There is alot to think about.

Good luck in what ever you decide. :)

Hey thanks a lot baxter's mom! really appreciate it. Karma to you for the extensive scenarios! I have thought about those things actually. I guess I'm not sure what I'd do if he/she bonded to someone else. So again I'm unsure. Most likely I won't be able to own one until I'm 30! haha. To all of you who have these life-long friends, you're so lucky.

I think right now I would just enjoy being able to "bird-sit" for someone. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a Grey.. :( Eventually I will have one though! for now, I'll Let time roll I guess! :) Thanks again everyone!

I really felt bad putting my opinion in there because I "feel" how bad you want one. I do think you will get a grey eventually and think you will be perfect. If you can just wait bit longer untill you get a little bit more free time you will have that relationship that you long for with a grey becuase you are right ~ They are amazing creatures and great companions. If you got one at this time you might be cutting yourself short and might not get the bond you want. If you wait untill the time is right you will be rewarded more than you can ever imagine. It may not even be that long of a wait. Please keep us posted. Karma to you, too for researching so much and really taking the time to make the right decision for you and your future grey;)

And if you get a grey at 30 that still beats me.:laugh: I just got mine last July at the ripe ole age of 44. :blink: And yes I do feel lucky to have him in my life. You will too.<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/02/09 04:37

One other thought....Does your mom or dad share your enthusiasm about greys? Would your mom or dad want to get one anyway? If so, then maybe your family should get one knowing that it might end up being your moms or dads bird in the long run but you could still enjoy it and when the time is right for you, then you could get one of your very own. Just a suggestion.

Thank you BaxtersMom! I'm glad you can "feel" how much I want one!

I have actually suggested that to them. My parents (more so my dad actually) had a blue and gold SURPRISINGLY! they also had a blue fronted amazon. So my dad does like birds. However, his passion is for his yellow lab. He has the love and affection towards that dog like I would towards my future grey. My parents do LIKE greys, but I don't think AS MUCH as I do. If it was tolerant and didn't bite (which i KNOW there is no guarantee on) then my mom would hold it. My mom loves birds, she had a cockatiel for years and LOVED it. She is very intimidated by any bird that is the size of a CAG or larger. My dad, however, is a little braver about getting bitten, probably because he has been bitten by their past two birds. They only got rid of these birds because the first bird, the blue and gold, couldn't be around when my oldest sister was born 23 years ago. and the blue fronted amazon died from a stomach tumor about 21 years ago :(.

So, I'm sure they would interact with it and enjoy it, just not as much as me, and of course i would be the primary cleaner-upper after the bird because they would still make it MY bird and MY responsibility. Not sure if this gives any more insight on my situation...

thanks very much again BaxtersMom!

-Kyle

Hi Kyle

I am a bit undecided on this one.On one hand I think you would be great for a grey,having done the reserch and taking ownership seriousely. On the other hand you are a young man with a future ahead. This future may or may not include your long term girlfriend,how does she feel.What if you married and had children. You do not sound like a party animal and I am sure will want to settle down at some point in the future,ok this may not be for a while till your studies are over and you are ready. What about moving home and other normal life changes,and the abnormal ones.Can you honestley say you will stand by this grey for maybe the next 50 years. Ok most greys do change owners in their long life and do very well but some are not so fortunate and are passed around like a parcel,this is devistating to a animal as sensative as a grey.As I say I am undecided and the final decision is yours but please only get a grey if you are 100 percent sure it is for you.

Hi Kyle. I am sure you will make the right decision. I will throw my story in too just to give you some perspective.

I bought my bird as a baby when my husband and I were still together. I travel some for work and leave very early and sometimes don't get home until 7pm. This was okay because my husband got home around 2-3 pm and so the baby was not confined for so long.

Well as we know life is ever changing and my husband and I seperated. Needless to say now Whisper does not get as much time out of her cage as she used to. I agonized over whether to keep her but just could not give her up as I love her so much.

I do everything I can to make this up to her. It means I have NO social life. I cannot even stop at the store on the way home because I have to get home to her asap. My weekends revolve around her. I repeat, I have NO social life. Once I get home in the evening I spend 2-3 hrs with her most of it ON MY SHOULDER.

I am going to be getting a second bird in the spring as company for her during the day.

Whisper and I are doing okay with this. We are making it work but I will be honest with you it takes a great deal of effort and sacrifice on my part.

I know it is a grey you want but perhaps you should think of starting off with a bird that is not so needy. I agree with the others that most likely the grey will bond with your mother. You will always feel like second fiddle.

Good luck with your decision.

Char

I've been thinking more on it and although you have a busy life right now, you probably do have the support to keep a grey successfully and your bird probably will have a good life. If the bird is home with your parents during the day, it is going to see activity in the house and most likely talked to and even handled some. If you spend all your free time with your grey and take him out and play with him, etc and are the main care taker for him/her it will probably work out just fine. I know when I first got Baxter I would wake up at the crack of dawn just to see him. I couldn't wait to see him:laugh: and start our day. Problem with that was he wasn't even up yet so I had to wait:whistle: :silly: If you put all your effort into bonding with him and do all the main things chances are he will bond well with you. And perhaps be well socialized with all your family, too. I would make sure you were the one to give all the feedings, clean the cages and really try to bond the hardest with the grey, if that makes sense. I was worried that the other family members would be doing these things. So I am going to go out on a limb here and say that it would probably be ok to go ahead and get one now but some may not agree. Everyone here likes to help out when we can and what is good is you get different kinds of advice from all of us and then you have to decide. Let us know what you decide. :)

Hey Kyle, welcome to the forum! Wow, you are sure to be confused about this situation now, I imagine you're having a bit of a rollercoaster ride reading all these opinions. Just think long and hard about it, I can tell you have the best interests of the grey at heart. Of course you are young, busy, have a lot going on and will more than likely have a lot more changes in the not so distant future. It sounds like you have a great support system of family. It really sounds to me like you've done a lot of research about greys and seem more prepared than many people that get one. I think if you are ready to make the commitment to care for one of these wonderous companions and will make it your priority to spend free time with the parrot every day (and your girlfriend understands this and is on-board as well) then it could work out great for you. I think it sounds like the grey wouldn't be neglected during the day when you are gone, and it seems you have a great love for them and would lavish your affection on it during the time you are home.

Are you the kind of person that would eventually get tired of caring for the bird, get tired of spending your free time entertaining an animal with the emotional needs of a two year old child?

It sounds to me like you have been dreaming about having a grey in your life for a long time. I think things would work out fine and you would give a parrot a wonderful life as long as you take the commitment seriously and don't give up whenever things may get hard or changes come to your life. Good luck in your decision!

Thanks very much again everyone! you're advice fills me with hope! :) I would definitely be the one holding it 24/7 feeding it, cleaning it, etc. My parents would only talk to it from a distance, maybe hold it for a little while during the day, etc. but not as much as I would interact with it. Also, I know this sounds crazy but really... I have no Social life either, except my Girlfriend, and all we ever do is watch movies! After high school, I decided to stop playing around, start college, obviously, and just work! LOL. :D

My girlfriend LOVES birds she actually likes greys and loves greater sulphur crested cockatoos, I just have to try my hardest to make sure the bird likes her as well. We actually plan (If we get married later) to have a Hyacinth as our "baby" this may ALSO sound weird and you're all probably going to think "this kid is a freak!" haha but to be honest, me and her do not plan on having kids. We are not pet crazy and do not want just a bunch of pets as our kids, but we don't plan on having kids, at least not in the next 10 years.

I also understand everyone's point of view - that i need to make sure it's 100% for me! I wish I could "rent" a bird for a month! :D That would be awesome! but I know it's not a choice.. :/ I would almost always get up early - about 2 hours before I would normally get up to go to work, just so I could spend time with it (especially in the "honeymoon" stage) My love for the bird wouldn't die off after the "Newness" wore off though I would still get up early for it and go STRAIGHT home. My girlfriend and I have been together, as I said, for 3 years! and I still love her just as much as the first time I saw her.

Finally, I LOVE the thought of having the bird the rest of my life as my long time friend! I would love to be able to say when I'm 40, "I've had this little guy since I was 18!" What else in life, besides your spouse, could you ever HOPE to say that about and be proud of it? a car? NO! You'd be embarrassed to have a 20 year old car, even though mine is actually almost that old..:whistle: If I do get one I will need to some how find a breeder around AZ that has some weaned babies available, which is hard to find. If I got one now I would most likely dip into the savings account (That I already have SPECIFICALLY for a CAG! :lol: ) and I would probably get it at the beginning of the summer after school so that the first few months I have it (which in my opinion are most important) I can spend as MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE with it! This would be my plan if I decide in a couple months to get it!

Thanks again everyone! hope to hear from you soon! :P;)

-Kyle

I have another idea for you. Are you set on the CAG? Have you thought about a TAG? If your mother is scared of birds as large as a CAG then maybe a TAG is an option, as they are a little smaller. Also, I feel they are more receptive to more people as in they will bond with more people than a CAG will. Though this is a stereotype of the breed, not all TAGs are like that.

TAGs are still just as smart. I have two TAGs and love them to bits. I am 34 and do not have any children of my own (my fiancee of 8 years has two children), so they are like my kids. I am not sure when the "honeymoon" period ends, but I have had mine for about 7 months and to thisday, I still cannot wait o get home from work to play with them.

There's a need to say a few things here to give people a full history concerning *10 reasons not to buy a parrot* which I believe is too much of a blanket statement and it can't be fully understood by people who periodically hear or read this kind of material who have little experience with parrot ownership. Many people may take things as being set in stone..

""""""3. Although the importation of wild parrots to the US and Europe is outlawed (a good thing), domestic breeding of parrots is widespread and millions of parrots are raised for sale as pets. Breeders profit from producing and distributing parrots even though they know the birds will inevitably end up in inadequate—if not horrific and abusive—conditions."""""

You can't possibly be aware of what all breeders do. There's loads of breeders that don't fit that description--- * Breeders profit from producing and distributing parrots even though they know the birds will inevitably end up in inadequate—if not horrific and abusive—conditions.*. ---Most are very careful in what they do or sell. If you wanna be more specific, use the words *some breeders*, not just breeders.

I take it extremely and personally insulting when a person makes blanket statements concerning what breeders do in order to provide other people with pets, in this case birds.

If it wasn't for people like myself and many other exotic bird breeders that I know, there would be loads and loads of other people who wouldn't have birds as pets. And that may also include you. If you wanna pick out people who breed birds, then pick out the ones that breed birds haphazardly without giving a second thought about the future chicks. Many of these people keep these birds until they're in over their heads and don't know what to do. They have no ideas or desires concerning selling them. They just want loads of them of birds.

I breed African greys for one purpose only. Money. I sell quality birds who make people extremely happy and many times those birds fill in the person something that's missing. I screen potential customers as do all of the other breeders I know. But equally important is that loads and loads of other breeders do the same thing all over the country including Europe. I know this because I deal with these people constantly on Skype visually or by audio.

"""""In its fifty-year lifespan, your parrot is almost certain to pass through several human hands. Your best-laid plans for his/her welfare are nonenforceable by law and likely to be blithely violated by future “owners” of your parrot. Your parrot has no rights, no legal protection and will have to be extremely lucky to avoid abuse and abandonment.""""

Why did you get one? You didn't know all of what you now say are reasons not to get one? Do you think that you've had your baby TAG long enough to be able to tell people not to get a young bird the same way you did? Your bird was taken away before his eyes were open? That's your responsibity to find out if that's proper and there's hundreds of guides telling you not to accept a bird that young. Basically, it's also called *not doing your homework*

""""Any parrot you buy in the US or Europe will have been stolen at birth from its parents, who are devastated by the loss.""""

Well, in Europe, it's against the law to sell unweaned birds. A vet is required to report any cases of unweaned birds that he or she comes across.

"""""Your captive parrot will never do what S/he was designed to do: find a lover, mate and raise babies. S/he will be celibate and alone from birth to death, which might be fifty years or more. No love, no sex, no parenting, no descendants. """"""

A captive bird can be brought into a household and have a decent life with people because those people go out of their way to provide very good things for that bird even to the point of being excessive. Many people can actually be accused of spoiling their birds and the birds don't complain. I see that all day, every day including weekends People and well as other birds can be accepted as flock members by birds with no problems. That's simply because most parrot species have that ability going back to the Roman era. It's been proven thousands of times that parrots can also be man's great friend and it's also be shown by parrot's reactions to many different types of people including invalids. In Europe, wing clipping is not accepted as well as it is here but those birds out there are given full freedom in the outdoors in all seasons to fly and fly and those birds always come back to their *home* which was created by their owners.

"""6. Any parrot you buy from a breeder will have been deprived of even minimal parental care and nurturing. Mine was taken from his parents before he opened his eyes. This practice is promoted to the public as “hand-feeding,” a technique that is supposed to produce happier, better-adjusted, less aggressive parrots. """"""

Well, there's another side to birds being taken away from parents that hasn't been mentioned---

Most breeding birds are not pets nor have they ever been pets. They're bonded together, care for each other, want to mate because nature tells them to do this. They have little tolerance for people.

Breeders keep these birds in areas that are specifically made for the birds so that their natural instincts can occur and it does occur like it does in the outdoors because it's controlled by seasons.

So, you have 1 pair of breeders who are bonded, care for each other, copulate and eventually have eggs. There's one problem though---when the full clutch is laid, the female constantly eats all the eggs within 3 to 5 days after laying. This female is known to do this on a steady basis. So, the owner of the pair takes the eggs away immediately so that won't happen. The breeder then uses an incubator on those eggs until the eggs can be examined to see if they're fertile and if they are incubation continues. The eggs hatch and are raised by the owners. Should they have not been taken away.

Now you have another pair of breedrs who are exactly the same way as the first pair in that they're bonded, in love, copulate and lay eggs.

There's one problem though----it seems that after the clutch has been laid, the female refuses to incubate the eggs so the owner takes over the eggs and the incubator is used for the same reasons. Should those eggs have been left alone?

"""""If you must get a parrot, take the high and hard road. Adopt one that already been abused, abandoned or rescued. """""

Many birds are in shelters for a multitude of reasons besides being abused or abandoned. Too many reasons to list all of them. I know because I have to deal with two shelters 2x a month. Most are older birds.

So, instead of me telling you about the extreme birds, I'll refer to one of my pet greys who is a TAG. His name is Tee.

Tee is now 14. He was given to me when he was 8. He was owned by a very nice married couple who I personally but they couldn't cope with his personality. Tee was what you would commonly refer to as an *attack bird* All he desired to do was to attack the husband and seriously hurt him, attack the wife and seriously hurt her but they tried and tried with no success. Finally, this couple had a baby and as soon as this baby was visible to Tee, he went after her with a vengence. Luckily, he missed. That's when I received a phone call at midnight with the woman crying and asking me if I would take the bird because she was very fearful of this bird. Since this person never knew who else to call the next home for Tee would have been in a bird shelter. I took the bird. His personality didn't change just because he was going to a new home. He continued just like before. He went after me, my wife, my other birds and even my dog. I and my wife were seriously bitten and bloody with small scars through that whole time that still can be seen.

So, for the next 1 1/2 years I had to work with him in order for him to totally change into a family bird that to this day is very loving to all other members of my house except for the dog which never pays attention to him anyhow..

So tell me, are you ready to a Tee type bird home with you from a shelter or even from another home? Are you ready for the abuse, pain, bleeding, biting that he and many others in shelters are ready to give out.? Where would you put the bird if he was like Tee and did these things to you? Do you think that it's right to tell people to do the high and hard thing by taking Tee home if they have little experience in dealing with a bird that has certain types of baggage attached?

""""If you’re like me and found out the truth too late, or knew it and went ahead anyway, love and cherish your parrot forever. " """"

The people here love and cherish their birds. Some even love and cherish their birds more than they do their husbands and wives.