NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Preparing to use a harness

Superluvrgurl

So I am still deciding if I want an african grey but one thing that I have thought about is that I would like to use a harness to take my bird on outings with my family. My kids and I often go to the park, and in the summer we like to go to the farmer's market and sit in the square and listen to local artists and musicians. I believe that this outing time will help socilize my bird. I want to use a harness to ensure safetly.

My question is, since I will be getting a young grey, should I practice putting on the harness long before we intend to go outside? Would it be a good idea to put on the harness inside (without the leash attachment) just to get the bird used to putting it on, wearing it and taking it off?

Should I tell my bird when we are going to put on the harness and when we are taking it off? Is there anything else I should know about harnesses?

thanks in advance!

Yes, starting harness training when they are young is much easier. Just get the Aviator harness for example, which comes with a great DVD that shows you how to properly introduce the harness to your bird.

Letting your bird become accustomed to having the harness on inside for short times once you are able to get it on him are your first steps in reaching your goal.

I'm going to second the Aviator recommendation.

I've used the feather tether and it was a terrible experience, not only is it awkward to put on but is heavy with a lot of irritating buckles and things (for both you and your parrot).

You should absolutely get your bird used to wearing it indoors before you go out. It takes a while to get them used to it but it's definetly worth it.

There are exercises that aren't on the aviator dvd that I'd suggest from personal experience.

Firstly, get your bird used to sticking his head through the head loop (I did this by first getting jacko to simply stick his head through the wing loop and gradually reduced the size until he would put his head through the same sized hole as the collar).

Secondly, if your bird is target trained getting him to touch the harness material would be useful (just a touch, no chewing!)

Lastly, get the bird used to the harness just laying on his back so that when you actually put it on he's not going to panic or try to chew it off.

Good luck!