NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Calming down a spooked grey

rjhammy

I put in a new toy on the outside of Ash's cage last week. For the last few nights, she's been poking at it and picking at it. Additionally... she and I would play with it outside of the cage.

Last night...I put it on the inside of her cage in the top left corner (the same place as it was when it was on the outside, but now inside).

After that, she scrambled to the bottom of her cage and would not move to the top perch. Or... she'd climb up halfway and jump down. Not to mention she was shaking and wouldn't close her wings all the way.

I'm pretty sure she was spooked.

My question is... what should I have done?

-Move it out of the cage and back to where it was hanging outside?

-Leave it inside and cuddle and give her treats inside the cage?

-Play with the toy inside the cage?<br><br>Post edited by: rjhammy, at: 2009/02/06 22:26

You should have left it outside of the cage until the time that she shows very obvious interest in the toy by coming out and spending lots of time playing with it herself with no interference from you. Getting used to a toy may take weeks. Put it back where it was and let her fully accept it. Next step would be to put it closer to the door but still outside the cage. Next step would be to put it in the cage but still near the door. Next step would be to move it in closer. Greys are very leery about new things including other items that aren't toys. It may look like a toy to you but she may have a different attitude towards it right now and she needs to convince herself that it's something she will enjoy on a constant basis.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/02/06 22:59

I had a similar experience with my grey. I bought a new perch for his cage and he was absolutely terrified of it. At the time there was a chair next to his cage so I put the perch on the chair so he could see it. We it was two months before he was ok with it in his cage and another month and a half before he would perch on it. New toys and perches take a long time for some greys to get used to. But Dave007 gave some great advice and I can't thing of anything to add to it.