NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A second bird for company?

domyoburk

OK, I've read many posts about how it's fine to get a second (or third, or fourth) bird and keep it in its own cage. As long as you give plenty of care and attention to all the birds, things are generally good.

But does getting a second bird seem to improve the quality of life of the first bird? I am thinking about "enrichment" in the broadest sense of the word. Maybe the two birds won't bond or even like eachother, but it seems like a bird might be happier or at least less bored with another bird around.

Any thoughts or advice? We have a CAG and have contemplated a budgie or even finches.

It just depends on the birds. It's basically a 50/50 Chance. They will either tolerate each other or hate each other.

If they hate each other, then they are both limited to the amount of attention they receive from you and their out of cage time is essentially cut in half if they can not be out at the same time.

If one hates the other, their is no enrichment, just a constant battle for your attention and out of cage time in their mind.

Simply put, it's true that teach bird may not like each other or will like each other or will simply ignore each other. Question can't be answered. The greys have individual personalities. More than likely they'll be less bored. If you're thinking about a budgie, forget that thought. In general, budgies don't like bigger birds. Finches have to be caged and won't make any contact one way or another with parrots plus a happy finch is one that has at least one other one in a cage.

Thanks for the tip on budgies... I am afraid I hadn't thought of the affect of our CAG on the other bird(s).

We like the idea of 2-4 finches... thinking that the chirping and motion throughout the day (on the rare days Ursula is left alone for 8 hours) would be interesting for her. But it sounds like its a crap-shoot.

Anyone have a story about how their bird has obviously appreciated avian company?

I was told that if you want the bird to flock more to you (the human) then you should start out with only one. I know with my 2 small brussels Griffon dogs when I got the 2nd one my first one (which was my baby) seemed to need less cuddling with me. Sometimes that is a blessing but I am quite an animal person so at times it hurts my feelings because I may want to cuddle and he has playing with his brother on his mind. I was concerned the same thing would happen with 2 birds. I would think if you don't have enough time to play with your bird it may be a blessing. Just my thoughts on this.

I have a whole flock of birds and they all have out of cage time from early morning tip bedtime as long as I'm home. Not all of them get along but I have found that each bird has picked a friend that they like to be with when they are not with me. All of them prefer one on one time with me but they also have friends within the flock. My way of thinking is that it makes for happier birds when they have other birds around. All my birds seem to tolerate each other fairly well.

If you do decide on another bird, make sure you really like the sounds it makes. Dorian came from a pet store, and every once in a while when he's feeling very bossy, he pulls out his budgie or canary sounds. Problem is, his version is several times louder than the originals.:blink:

My CAG and my small Blue Rumps and Blue Crown have been together for more than 5 months. Yet the smaller parrots are still afraid of the bigger CAG. Whenever they are out of cage and the CAG goes near them asking for head scratch, the small ones panic and fly away.

For what it's worth, I only have the one CAG and my 3 dogs. A golder retriever, pit bull/American bulldog mix, and Rotty/Italian Mastiff mix. The dogs all avg about 75-80 pounds a pop. She seems quite content with those knuckleheads running around and doesn't get too bored. I also have a variety of things to keep her occupied in her cage when we aren't home. When we are home, she pretty much can get out of her cage and move around as much as she wants. she throws food to the dogs from time to time and keeps her distance of them when she has too. She will occasionally fly over to the couch where they all are and just hang out arounf them keeping her distance.

But, I am licjy with most of the things that we introdude to her because she tolerates a lot of change with no porblems....so maybe I am jst lucky....