NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What cage cleaning agents are safe for AG's?

PekingeseMama

I keep cleaning my birds cages with a little dishsoap and warm water on a rag....but I need something stronger for the CAG's large cage, and larger messes! What is safe to use? I don't see any special bird cage cleaners at the pet stores near me. What does everyone else use?Congo006.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: PekingeseMama, at: 2009/02/05 19:03

I started off using soap & water mixture, then rinsing it off and I had no problems. I have now switched to vinegar and water because like Judy said, You can't beat the price:laugh: I also use the "poop off"

One tip I got from my bird store was to put a piece of wax paper down under the newspaper or what ever you use in the areas they poop the most or hotspots as she called them. This will keep the cage protected so it wont wear through the powder coating.

When I got Baxter my grey he came with his cage and I noticed that the powder coating was worn through to the metal in a couple spots where he went to the bathroom and now I realize this is why. He has a new cage now but and I always put the wax paper down now because the poop cant seep through it. I know thats not what this post was about but thought it was a good tip to share;)

I know this is off of your topic as well but I love your pekeginese, I had one for 19 years he was the love of my life. They say they are not good with kids but mine was around my kids and a whole daycare those kids when I wasn't looking would drag the poor thing around by his tail (when caught they got in lots of trouble) but that dogs was put through the mill and was a saint. His name was Peke, I miss him sooooooo much.. Anyway I know that was off the subject but I don't see these dogs very much.

I use a product called AviClean and am completely sold on it!

Totally safe, I just spray it on wait a few seconds and wipe it off - no scrubbing even on dried poop and food. No rinsing and it's pretty cheap. I spray it on with a foaming sprayer which helps me use even less and it is a lifesaver, no elbow grease required.

http://www.avitec.com/AviClean-no-rinse-cage-and-aviary-cleaner-p/avc.htm

jhhuhma wrote:

I know this is off of your topic as well but I love your pekeginese, I had one for 19 years he was the love of my life. They say they are not good with kids but mine was around my kids and a whole daycare those kids when I wasn't looking would drag the poor thing around by his tail (when caught they got in lots of trouble) but that dogs was put through the mill and was a saint. His name was Peke, I miss him sooooooo much.. Anyway I know that was off the subject but I don't see these dogs very much.

Thank you so much! There's really nothing like a Pekingese, they steal your heart! It sounds like your little Peke was a treasure! I have 3 Peke's, and they each have their own personality and temperment...they're so loving and gentle with my 3 kids! And you're right about not seeing the Pekingese breed very often. Thanks again for your message!

I just love the pics of your dogs. Ialso use vinagar and water to clean my birds cages ialso have a steam cleaner that I also find helps allot with cleaning the real tough stuff. It's also good for sterilizing after you scrub the steam kills any germs or bacteria that may be left behind