NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

leaving greys

shazbaby36

we are meant to be going away for 2 weeks in march but my niece cannot look after my babies now i was told there was a place where u can take your birds and they will look after them but i am scared they wont like it and when i get them back they wont be so loving towards us any more can anyone help me and let me know if they will be ok

Lots of places will board your pets, pet stores and vets will sometimes offer these services for a fee. What place will your greys be going to? Will they be in their own cages?

Why not try and leave the birds there for a weekend first before you plan to go away, this will give you some idea how the birds will be and also get them used to being there.

Are all the birds tested for disease who board there? I know a lot of places do this and this would also put your mind at rest.

I know you dont have long but is there no one else who could bird sit at your house for them?

my vets told me about it they will be in his cages and they are let out to play in a special room he has the all problems is my hubby dont want to leave the babies in doors alone and just get peole to check on them as 6 months ago the lady down the rd from us had her grey stolen when someone broke in her house my niece used to stay here when we go away so really dont dont know what to do if i have my way i wont go away

Here in Orlando they have the bird cabin and the bird store for bird boarding. I have never boarded my grey there before, but I've checked out the facilities. I would think that since they are so young, this may be a good thing for them. A chance to get used to other people and different environments. I'd go along with what casper said. Maybe leave them there for a day, then come back and get them. Leave them there for two days, then come back and get them. They would get a feel for the boarding place and they would also know that you will come back for them.

With mine, I take her to the park and socialize her as much as possible so she is used to traveling different places and meeting new people. She is 9 years old, and we just adopted her last June. So, it's been a long working road. When we first got her, she didn't like to be in the car or meet anyone. With the younger greys I think this is a good opportunity to get them used to it for when they get older. Good luck! birdbanner.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: djzenjen, at: 2009/02/08 00:17

birdbanner.jpg

I have boarded mine as a nearby parrot supply store (they don't sell birds) that gets vet health certs from anyone who boards there. Mine use the cages already at the place (they're 36"x24", so decent size. I bring all my perches and toys from home so even though they're in a different cage, they have some familiar things surrounding them. They get a lot of interaction through the day there and I have never had any problems with them when we bring them home.

I agree with taking them overnight or for a short weekend before then if you can. I think it's better to do it now while they're young. Then in the future it will be a familiar place and they'll likely adapt easily.

Lisa