NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi everyone

Crazylion

Hello everyone I am new to this, and I just got a 16 week old african grey. Hes kinda not really intrested on baby formula anymore and is eating very little of his pellet diet zupreem fruit blend flavor I also mix it with cheerios and green apple thats what the person who sold me the bird told me to do, is this a good food diet? and is this normal for greys to be doing this? Thanks

There is nothing wrong with that as a temporary diet. Just make sure he isn't ignoring the Zupreem in favor of the Cheerios. I'm assuming you've only had him for a few days and if that's the case, it'll take time for him to settle in and get back to a healthy appetite. As things progress, you'll want to make sure he gets a nice supplement of leafy green and meaty orange foods, such as broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, kale, turnip greens, etc.

My preference for a daily pelleted diet is Harrison's Bird Foods. A lot of research and quality control goes into their formula. For greys they recommend the high potency course. Another popular brand is Roudybush. Harrison's tends to only be sold trough veterinarians. I'm not sure about the rest.

Apple cinnamon Cheerios are quite popular around my house. That particular flavor was recommended by my vet.