NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Blood Chemistry

spookyhurst

I took Nikko to the vet last month to have a check up, and they ran a blood chemistry panel. I got the results in the mail yesterday. All the numbers came back pretty good. The only two abnormal readings were that her albumin was a little high, and her phosphorous was a little low. Anyone know what that means?

I'm also going to need to slightly modify her diet to increase calcium and potassium a little, and decrease sodium a little. The numbers were all in the normal range, but a little close to the edges. Nikko's going to have to cut back on her junkfood intake, namely tostito chips :whistle:.

Hi Spookyhurst, I'm no vet, gut I am a medical student! You were saying that the values were all in the normal range, but close to the edges - if this is the case, I shouldn't worry. Albumin is a protein that carries all sorts of things round the body, and it's produced in the liver. When it gets broken down it's pee'd out (or the birdy equivalent - the white bit of their poo). If it was low I'd be worried, as it means that the liver isn't working properly, but I think it's fine if it's a bit high.

As for the calcium and potassium, these can vary quite considerably over just a few hours. If you want to increase potassium, there's lots in bananas and potatoes. As for the calcium, there's plenty in meat (I feed casper with small amounts of chicken and fish if I'm eating it), and I also give him small dog rawhide chews, which contain calcium.

Julia

Hey spookyhurst,

I had another thought that might help reassure you. Albimun is a way of measuring how concentrated the blood is, and potassium is excreted in the urine - if Nikko had done a big poo just before he had his blood test (which is very likely), it's highly likely that these measures would be at the edges of normal. Blood tests are a snap shot in time, and can vary quite alot in a very short space of time - which is why 'normal' ranges are quite wide.

Julia

Thanks for the input! Nikko's total protein levels were great, so I was thinking the higher albumin was probably not an issue. Glad to hear that's most likely the case.

Also, since it was a long car ride to the vet, and we had to wait a while before we got in. Nikko could have been just a little dehydrated when the test was done.

Overall, I was pleased. It gives one piece of mind to know that your bird is considered "normal." :)

There are certain veggies and nuts that have pretty high calcium. You should try and offer some of these daily. Some examples of foods with relatively high calcium include:

collard greens

dried figs

spinach

almonds

to name a few. There are many other healthy options to ensure enough calcium is provided through a "normal" diet. There are lists available in many books that list the amount of calcium, phosphorus, vitamins etc contained in different foods. I offer Kip several pieces one of these items every day in her fresh food bowl and she usually nibbles away at some of it. I figure the more I can get her to eat raw/natural veggies/fruits the better...:P