NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Discussion:CAG vs TAG

vdineff

Hello to you all Greys' admirers!

I am wondering why most of the videos I found over the internet are with CAGs. Further more I could say most of the owners of this forum has a CAG as I look through their pictures. Are the CAGs smarter than TAGs? I haven't really got to meet a CAG but they both seem to me pretty intelligent so I cannot tell the difference. My only guess actually is that CAGs are the more popular ones so inevitably they become more wanted.

I looking forward seeing your thoughts:)

The reason more people have Cags, is mainly due to TAGs not being as available. There are far few breeders of TAGs.

One other reason, may be due to the size difference and the bright red tail also. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/02/02 15:53

Thanks for the hint, Talon!

and Dan I must admit I liked your point about the red tail...I would love to see a Grey with a combination of a TAG's bright beak and CAG's red vivid tail ;)<br><br>Post edited by: vdineff, at: 2009/02/02 16:00

I just love TAG's but I think most people are more used to seeing a CAG, also, like Dan said, I think people are drawn by the bright red tails. I have heard they are equally intelligent but the CAGs have a better ability to mimic a person's speech exactly in the same tone of voice, whereas TAGs are more likely to have their own individual sounding voice.

Lyric, I have both a tag and a cag. When I was looking for a grey, I could only find tags cags were hard to come by in this part of the US.

I have also disagree about the cag being a better talker and mimic. MY tag sounds exactly like my family in voices. SHe is a quick learner, and speaks volumes. Where as my cag has a voice of her own, and her vocabulary is much less than that of my tag.

In my neck of the woods the TAGs are much harder to get than the CAGs, but both are very popular. We get maybe 4 TAGs a year vs. 8 or 9 CAGs at the store, and they both will all sell before they are even ready to go home.

The CAGs being bigger, having the red tail and just more well known is why I imagine that more people want them. It's pretty funny at the store people will see the Timneh and ask what kind of parrot it is. When I tell them it's an African Grey they ALWAYS ask "Where's the red tail?"

The people that seem to love the Timnehs like smaller birds, where the people that like the CAGs just have a thing for bigger birds. I have found that people that like the TAG's also like the Conures, Mini Macaws, Goffins and similar sized birds where the Congo owners like larger birds like the Amazons, U2's, and full size macaws. Not always the case, but it's a noticable trend.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2009/02/03 18:15

I have two TAGs and I would say I actually prefer larger birds, but when I was looking at getting my Greys, I talked with my breeder and we discussed the stereotypical differences between the TAG and CAG, and we decided that based on the stereotypes, a TAG would be better in our household.

I would still love to have a Amazon (I think either DYH or Blue Front, but open to about and breed), on the other hand a Caique (I know this is considered a small-medium bird) would also fit well in my house.