NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Harness ... which one is better?

bebo08

hi folks ...

long time :)

which harness is better?

1) Feather Teather Harness

2) Aviator bird harness

the weird thing with the aviator harness is that you have to buy the leash seperately ... but the FTH comes with the leash already....

I find the aviator harnes a little easier for putting on because it has no buckles to do up and also a little lighter for the bird to wear. I have had no experience with the feather teather but have had great luck using the aviator.

Carolyn & Mika

I have also only experience with the aviator. But I had several harnesses with buckles for other animals, and it seems the buckles would challenge your bird to open them. The material of the aviator harness is light, and beak-proof. It's also very easy to put on ( though you have to train them of course) With the aviator harness a short leash comes, attached to the harness. I don't need more, because I don't use the harness to fly the birds. I use the harnesses to be able to take flighted birds safely outside for a walk. I want them only flying indoors.

I've used both and recommend the aviator hands down.

The feather tether is heavy, has irritating/frightening buckles that will bother your bird and tempt him ro chew the harness off. Also the material is much thicker and rougher with lots of stitches (also really annoying to birds). There's no dvd to give you some guidance and it is a BIG pain in the butt to put on. Also, if your bird startles... he's going to come to an really abrupt and posssibly painful stop on that leash.

The aviator has my vote because it's light, very smooth and no buckles or stitches (there is one buckle thing on the belt to tighten it but that's it and it's not rubbing up against feathers or anything). It's really quick and simple to put on too, which is less annoying to you and the bird.

But I think my biggest reason is the training dvd that comes with it and the elastic leash which eliminates jerky stops, also it's much easier for your bird to move in it and fly/walk as the harness attachment swivels.

Hi,

We have the Aviator, and the Feather Teather, and the Aviator is better by far, although the DVD was only somewhat helpful. In addition, if you get the wrong size, the Parrot University, the makers of the Aviator, will gladly exchange it for the right size.

If you just want the harness to go for walks or sit with him outside, you don't need the standalone leash. The standalone gives much more length so he can fly farther and higher.

I hope this helps.

Ralph

• 1 month later...

Ok I have the Feather Tether but everyone is saying that the Aviator harness is better. I don't want to scare off my bird - can the Feather Tether ruin my bird's chances to tolerate a harness? Is it really that annoying to them?

I looked at the Parrot University website and I want to order the Aviator Harness. Can you please help me choose which size to buy? Alex is almost 6 months old and 390 grams and he's a CAG

The small harness is from 190 to 425 grams (examples are amazons and timnehs)

The medium harness is from 425 to 600 grams (examples are congos and eclectus)

Will Alex still grow a bit or will the medium be too big for him? :unsure:

Thanks for your help.

Hi Dave,

I already bought the small-size for my baby Timneh.. she is 5 months old now ...

so you recommend to get the medium one ... she is around 350 grams?

though i had directly contacted the parrot university and they recommended the small size for timneh grey...