NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

We're expecting!

Hello!! As my "about me" says, my boyfriend and I are eager to welcome our new baby CAG into our home at the end of March. We're very nervous as well! Lol. I've had some experience with greys as my mother had one when I was in high school. I was SO excited to find this website...I didn't at all expect to find a forum/site dedicated to greys!

Hi chimaysmommy, welcome to the family. Congratulations on your baby CAG. This is a great place to learn about greys. Everyone is very helpful so if you have any questions just ask and others will try to help if they can. You might want to take a look at Pet Solutions.com as they are having a sale on cages and have one on which the whole front panel opens for easy cleaning. Hope to hear more from you about your new baby. If you get to visit your CAG, we would love to see some pictures if you get a chance to take any.

Hello Chimaysmommy and welcome to the family, so glad you found us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey.

And dedicated to greys we are here as most everyone has at least one grey even though it is not a requirement to join, you just need a love for the species and you won't find a friendlier bunch than right here.

You don't need to be nervous, just find out all you can and that includes reading thru the many threads here for lots of useful information and do ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

I know you cant wait until the end of March until your new arrival comes home but the time will pass quickly. If you have a chance to get some pictures of your new baby and would share some with us we would love to see them.

Welcome and yes you've hit the mother lode of grey information in the form of a great loving family. You have lots to learn and most all you will need is probably here. If you don't see it , ask there are many knowledgeable grey owners here . Looking forward to your progress.

Bruce & Mazy

Welcome chimaysmommy!!

It's GreYt having you here and happy to hear you are excited about this site and your new Grey. :-)

There are a lot of cages and prices out there. The best rule of thumb is to get the largest cage you can afford. You have chosen a nice model. :-)

Here are a few other sites and cages:

http://www.qualitydiscountcages.com/products.asp?id=16

http://www.cagesunder500dollars.com/products/tabid/72/p-503-cfds-1305-huge-playtop-cage.aspx

http://www.birdcages.com/large-bird-cages/wrought-iron/sonomaplaytopbirdcage.cfm

http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/Large_Bird_Cages/PA5704

Hi and welcome.I bet it feels like ages untill you get your grey. It will be hear before you know it. While you are waiting take the time to learn all you can about these magnificant complex creatures. As far as cages go , get the largest you have the space and finance for.

Hello Chimaysmommy! I know you must be so excited- will you be able to visit your baby often before it comes home with you? The end of March seems so far away now, but the time will go by quickly if you spend your time researching and learning all you can about greys.

Unfortunately we won't be able to visit the baby before he comes home with us... :( We're in Ohio and we found a GREAT breeder in Georgia that we decided on. There was a breeder pretty close to us in OH, but they ONLY sell unweaned babies which I didn't agree with. I'd love to be able to visit him before he comes home but we'll just have to wait and see! :)

I'm glad to hear you didn't go with the unweaned babies and shame on them for only selling them that way for it is hard to tell how many die due to improper care and feeding.

Maybe your breeder can email you some pictures at different stages so you can keep up with your babies growth and if so you can share them with us:whistle:

Yes I was so disappointed to hear that they only sold unweaned babies. My mother worked at Petsmart when I was a kid, and she used to have such a blast with parrots on the occasion that one came in. But a coworker of hers went to this local "unweaned only" breeder and fell in love with a baby CAG. Healthy, but the poor thing had to sit in the break room all of the time and she was running ragged going back and forth to feed him and deal with customers at the store. After he was weaned he was SOOOO dependent on her and would scream incessantly when she would leave the living room just to use the toilet or something.

We were sold on the GA breeder in our first conversation with her....she was very open, and took her time with us. The patience was really necessary b/c I had left my "Gotta Ask" list on my desk at work. Lol!

As soon as I get home from work tonight I'll post pics of the baby on this thread. I don't have them saved to my work computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new Grey. We only recently adopted ours, so i'm not giving any advice. The cage we have for our sun conures was given to us, and we like it so much that we are considering another for our new Grey, Casper. Its actually a cast iron ferret cage which we converted into a bird cage. Its huge for our sun conures. Its reasonably sized for a grey. Its called a "ferret nation" cage, and we can get it locally for pretty cheep. Anyway, i share your joy in anticipation of your new grey. Casper is so great, and we've only had him a few days. We are SO LUCKY to have him. I hope your relationship with your grey becomes very rewarding for everyone in your family.

Welcome to our forum. Your new baby is so adorable. The cage you have pictured there looks great.I would go with suggestions.Shop around on a good deal for cages.You want to get your moneys worth.

Im sure you will be a very good mama.You said your mom had one so thats great you have some familiarity with the breed.It doesnt hurt to contine the research and if you need some questions answered Im sure one of the bird brains here will help.Its better to post a question rather than use the IM sidebox.Quicker results with a post.

Congrats and have fun. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We are really excited...I just heard from our breeder again today, and it's looking like he'll come home a weekend earlier than expected! I wasn't anticipating him coming home until 3/27-3/28, but she's expecting to ship by 3/20-3/21! I know it only moves the timeframe up by a week but it makes it seem SO much closer now! :D