NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The first few weeks

DanielZlamal

Hello, my name is Daniel and i just bought my Congo African Grey two weeks ago. At first he would let me pet him as long as i wanted to now he seems a little scared of my wife and i, but only sometimes. He refuses to step up but has no problem stepping up on his ladderwjen its time to go back in the cage. . He will has not come out of his cage since we had him (2 weeks). He will climb to the top on stay on the roof but will not actually leave his cage. My guess for all this is that ihe needs more time to trust me and to get used to his new home. My question is how long does this take and please tell me what top expect and what i should be doing the first few weeks or months to gain his trust. Thank you.<br><br>Post edited by: DanielZlamal, at: 2009/01/30 23:39

I'm not sure if it would work for you but my bird didn't like my husband so I had him start to give him some pecans they are his favorite and within a day he is climbing all over him maybe see if he likes them and give him a few in his cage, then gradually make him step on your hand to get it and so on. Until you get him all the way out of the cage.

Daniel, two weeks is not long enough for your grey to come to trust you yet, it does take more time andyou don't say how old your grey is. I am guessing he is not a baby grey as they are usually quicker to trust than an older bird.

I wouldn't force anything with him, just sit by his cage and talk softly to him, tell him what you are doing, offer him treats and leave his cage door open so he can decide if he wants to come out.

Another thing you can do is take some toys and play with them in front of him so he sees you having a good time with them and sometimes they won't be able to resist coming out to check to see what you are having so much fun with.

Your grey is still feeling very strange ad unsure.It can very a lot on the time it takes for them to trust and feel at home.Two weeks is not long enough.Let things go at his pace and do not rush things. For now just talk to him and offer treats by hand. He will come out of his cage when ready.It is best to let him come out on his own and not rush him.

Welcome Daniel!

The others have given good thoughts and comments on the newness of your Grey.

I noticed you didn't mention how old he is or if your the first owner. It will take some time for him to become accustomed to his new home and family. If the ladder is the only way he will step-up and go back in his cage, then that's what you need to use. However, you will need to work on him getting used to your hands by giving him treats he loves etc.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

When I got my bird he was stepping up on everyone's hands at the breeders' like a trained performer. Then he came home and wouldn't let go of the cage for 6 weeks. He's always been very affectionate with petting and scrinching, but he clung to the bars like his whole being depended on it.

Gradually he put one foot up and then another. Now I can take him out and put him back in the cage with a treat cue. He's still not entirely comfortable, but he's making progress every day.

You just need to hang in there, have patience. Everyone says it, but it's true.