NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to Grey Parenthood!

I'm Edi, from Seattle WA, living in Olympia WA. I'm about to (Tomorrow) receive a Congo African Grey. S/He is very sickly, completely plucked...So I hope he lives through the stress of tomorrow. I work with exotic animals at a vet clinic, and have no birds. So this is an experience. I got a huge cage set up, built a manzanita perch...Got all the bad foods he currently eats, you all would have a heart attack! He eats cheerios, scrambled eggs, and some seeds (But he's picky bout the seeds).

Oh my gosh! What a project. So, assuming he's alive after we pull blood for testing..He's going right on good ol' prozzak for that plucking. I have to figure out how to get him from the seeds/cheerios/eggs to pellets (Got harrisons).

So thats me, and my very first African Grey.

Howdy!

Hello & welcome to the forum. Well, good for you taking in a bird that needs some serious attention and rehabilitation. I hope you love it and give it all the attention he needs. With love and attention a bird can just flourish. I think I would wait on the prozac as it may not even be needed. You said you got a nice cage and have all kinds of plans but please don't forget that love works miracles which you didn't mention that in your post. I think you called him/her a "project" They are living sensitive birds that need lots of attention, talking too and out of the cage time. It sounds like he might have been neglected and I would try companionship, love and attention before the prozac and other drugs. They are remarkable companions and so darn smart. Please keep us updated on him and good luck bringing him home.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are many knowledgable members here on this forum and always ready to help when we can.

Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/01/31 00:20<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2009/01/31 00:22

Hello Edi and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and your new grey.

It sounds like you are going to have your hands full with this grey but if you are willing to put forth the effort it takes then I think you will be successful in transforming this grey into a wonderful companion.

We would be interested to hear the story behind this bird, how old is he, what is his name and maybe why he is sickly and plucking.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

I know he may not be much to look at if he is missing his feathers but do consider sharing a picture or two of him with us as we can overlook the outside and see his true beauty on the inside.

As soon as I get pictures, I will share - believe me, I thought he was beautiful, and we just fell in love when we met.

His story is this:

He was bought in '91 by a elderly couple who...meant right, but had no clue. You know the type? Anyways, he's been kept in a parakeet sized cage since he was brought home as a featherless hatchling. They handfed him, then he grew in his feathers, and they forgot about him in the corner and fed him what they thought he needed (seeds, eggs, cheerios, nuts) and slowly he got balder and balder...So he's been plucking since his first feathers came in.

My vet has already opted to put him on prozzac, because he's been plucking so long. She feels theres no way just environmental change will fix the habit he's formed, and we've had good success with some patients we used it on when all else failed. We're running blood work when I get him tomorrow to see if he has any underlying medical problems. I've been getting ready all month for him..I'm just so excited, we're gunna be pals.

When I met him he snuggled up in my chest and made a purring/beak grinding sound, and let me pet his head. Then my boss (The avian vet) tried to pet him and he stared at her, lunged a little, and said "WHAT do you think you're doing!?"

Thats when we knew he was my bird. :)

Welcome Edi!

Give him lots of time to adjust. It sure sounds like he immediately took to you though which is absolutely fantastic for a 18 y/o neglected Grey!

Please post the pics and keep us posted on your/his progress and the transition into a much more loving situation. I am very happy he found you.

He's got a long life of habits built up. Sounds like you have the heart to help him.

Lisa

I hope so. I'll be the first to admit a grey was not a bird I'd put thought into owning, I know how hard they are to earn trust with, among other things..Keep their minds active. In my position at work I spend hours of every day explaining to people why their care is insufficient to their grey. I know from this, that I will do everything in my power to break his habits through husbandry, but with all those years behind him of plucking, the likelyhood that he will start up as soon as the meds are stopped is very high :(.

Hi Edi, welcome to the family. Karma to you for choosing to take on a grey who needs help. It sounds like you have things well in hand and I look forward to hearing more about Earl and his progress. With your patience and the bond that is already growing between the two of you, there can be nothing but great success. Can't wait to hear how it goes when he comes home tomorrow. I look forward to hear more from you.

Hi Ed I am so glad you are going to give this grey another chance.It sounds like you are the right person for the job and have plenty of knowledge and the back up of an avian vet.I am glad the vet has already seen the bird and you obviousely know what you are letting yourself in for. I hope all goes well bringing him home and I very much look forward to seeing the photos and I hope the birds recovery and transformation. Sheila

I am really excited for you now and can't wait to hear more:) It does sound like he has chosen you and you will do well with him I'm sure. My grey bonded with me right away and I gained his trust pretty quickly. He was 12 when I got him. I feel so bad for him stuck in the small cage for all those years:( and just pretty much abandoned. No wonder why he plucks! It sounds like you are already really taken with him and have what it takes to give this bird a wonderful life. I think it's ok to change his name. I changed my greys name and he learned it pretty fast, plus since he is getting a brand new start, a brand new name seems fitting to me. Although I do like the name Earl, too. We would love to see some pictures. I don't think any of us care if he has feathers or not, atleast I don't. I'm sure you will find this so rewarding taking in an older and neglected bird. Baxter was neglected but not as severe as your Earl but it has been one of the best experiences in my life. I have since taken in 3 more birds, not greys though. Please let us know how things go. I am so interested to hear all your upcoming accomplishments and sure others are too. More Karma for you for saving this birds life:)

That is such a sweet story of how Earl came to choose you and you should be so honored. You seem to know what you are getting yourself into and if anyone can work wonders with this grey then you certainly will with your background working at a vet clinic. Earl knew a good thing when he saw it.

I know Earl, or whatever name you choose for him will flourish under your care and we hope to hear more about him and how he settles into your home and please share some pictures too if you like.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. I appreciate it, even with the backing of my avian vet, access to Veterinary Information Network (VIN), and all the resources I have in the area (Personal contacts with other well known avian vets due to working together. I have to admit to myself this is going to be my first parrot, and though I know, in theory, and I teach people about them..Practice is probably very different, and I've been doing nothing but research between work, school, and other duties since I met Earl.

I should pick him a name before he comes home though, so I don't confuse him...

Welcome Ed and Earl!!

It sure sounds like you are going to have your hands full. Earl could not have found a better home that will love and properly care for him.

It's always wonderful to see someone take in a bird in need of TLC and a forever home that will provide for all his individual needs.

With the changes you have described that you will be making to cage size, diet, attention etc, he should flourish and become a healthy happy Grey.

Looking forward to hearing more and seeing those photos when you get a chance. :-)

Earl will probably be Darwin from this day forth, he pins when I say "Do you like the name Darwin, do you want to be a Darwin?" He also pins when I say "You're a sexy bird" Or when he's just looking at me...I feel like I brought home a funny looking cockatoo, not a grey!

Anyways, heres some photos from my blackberry. I regretfully lent my Digital SLR out to a friend who is traveling for 6 months. How was I to know I needed it? ;)

Sorry for the poor quality photo, I will try to borrow a camera for my reference on feather growth, as well as yours for seeing my lovely guy/girl :)

Well hello Darwin, that sounds like a lovely name for a lovely grey, he/she is plucked almost oven ready:whistle: but you can see he/she has potential to be a great looking one and I am sure under your tender loving care he/she will be soon, thanks for sharing a pic with us.

Thats great to know you're close. I do end up that way every few months (Do a lot of exotic rescue through work, though I try not to take them home unless...Well, I have to, and I just had to. I'll keep in mind you're close, thats great to know, you know who I'll be after when I find a grey puzzle to solve. Speaking of, grey's don't normally sit on your chest purring and pinning, right? I always linked that behavior with cockatoos...He's really sweet but I don't want him to be dependent on me, he starts shivering if I push him onto a perch though :(

This does sound unusual but I think he has found someone who really cares about him, I believe he can sense that and he wants you close by and your reassurance right now. If it presists then you may have to try to do something about it but in my opinion he is reverting to more of a baby stage at this point because he has found someone who loves him unconditionally.

That does make sense, and I can deal for a while..But even though I am prepared to give him a home for his life, he can't be bonded like this when he's got confidence back. I'm gunna make him sit on his perch while I nap, I had a long sleepless night I was so excited. :)

He seems content to watch animal planet anyways...