NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What behaviors should I expect from a baby?

Superluvrgurl

Okay so as I said in my intorduction post, a close friend of mine got a Grey and now I also have the oppertunity to get one also. Her's was just a baby and I couldnt help but become curious with him. As I held him, he gave me kisses and made cute little noises, but then started to play with my ears, and climb up on me where he wanted. Are these behaviors typical for a baby bird? Baby Greys act TOTALLY different than baby tiels. Tiels dont use their beak as much as other hookbills do, so Im not sure as to what is concidered normal and what is not.

As I was holding this sweet baby I just began to think that the ear playing was cute now but what happens when it gets bigger and stronger, and then its no longer cute. How do you discourage behaviors that you do not like in a juvinille? Im still reading up. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question.

There are no silly questions, Rissa and you ask a valid one as you have never had a baby grey before.

The baby greys are usually more willing to cuddle and be very sweet when they are just that, babies, but as they grow and mature they tend to become more independent and not so willing to be so cuddly.

I would recommend that you not allow your grey to get on your shoulder if you have any doubts about being able to handle it. Some of us do allow our grey to shoulder sit but we feel comfortable doing it because we feel we can read their body language. Ifa grey gets excited then the shoulder is not the place for them as they tend to do more unpredictable things then and ears, eyes, noses and lips are too close for comfort, a grey bite can leave a mighty scar.

When you get your grey to step up on your hand and he/she starts going up your arm then you use the other arm for him to step up on and back and forth until he gets the message but you may have to keep doing this for a while because greys tend to want to go to the highest point, some even want to go up on the head, that is a definite no no as no one wants poop dropped in their hair or down the back.

Your grey will beak you somewhat but then they use their beaks like we would use our hands, to explore things but it should not hurt but soon it should be discouraged for later it may turn into bites.

You will find lots more information in the nursery room, there is where you will find advice and tips on bringing a new baby grey home and helping him settle in so take a cruise thru and see what you find.

• 2 weeks later...

When Whisper tries to play with my ears I just say "no, stop that", if she does not stop then I remove her from my shoulders.

If you do allow the bird on your shoulder, do not do or play anything that will get them too excited. This is not a time for tug of war with a toy as they can become to excited and bite you. When Whisper is on my shoulder it is very calm cuddly time with head scratches. Lots and lot of head scratches.

While on my shoulder she will say "give me a kiss" and "want a scratch?" If I don't comply she will peck me on the cheek until I do.

Judy,

you said

Your grey will beak you somewhat but then they use their beaks like we would use our hands, to explore things but it should not hurt but soon it should be discouraged for later it may turn into bites.

How exactly do you go about discouraging? I was told a firm "no" and the evil eye are most common ways, but would a baby that is still learning get the point? I was also told that if they are "beaking" you and it gets too rough to point to the beak and say no firmly so that they know what you are not happy about. Would that be a productive method?

Normal beaking is fine and normal. The key is to let them know when they bite too hard. This is done by simply staring them in the eye and saying "No Bite".

I don't know that pointing the finger at the beak will be perceived as being the beak pointed out or just your finger pointing at them. In any case I would assume it adds a little more visual feedback.

Just remember that they use their beak for everything and they use it to not only feel the textures of items, but also to preen themselves and one another. If they get a little too aggressive with another Grey in the preening process, the other Grey lets them know it is not acceptable, just as you are going to do.