NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Overpetting?

DavidH

I was reading an "expert's" guide to Greys, and the author recommended lots of toys and activities which would prevent "overpetting" the parrot.

I have absolutely nothing against toys and activities. On the contrary, I'm doing everything I can to stimulate Shanti's mind, body and soul and to prevent boredom.

But he is very affectionate and likes plenty of petting/cuddling/scrinching.

I can't see rationing the affection. What do other's think? Is there a downside to scrinching/petting/preening?

I'm with you, David. I can't help but kiss and cuddle my Grey! And she loves it as much as I do. We do it often and they are tender moments I wouldn't trade for the world.

I went to a parrot behavior seminar hosted by PEAC (Parrot Education & Adoption Center) and she said to try to avoid overpetting only on the parrots back because it can trigger sexual behavior (expectations) and frustration. She said it shouldn't be a problem prior to sexual maturity.

My vet says that after the baby stage they should only be petted on the head. She said that after the baby stage that anything more than that confuses them.

She says that in the wild birds do not pet and cuddle except for mate and mother preening them.

Misty makes it very clear to me what kind of interaction he favors at any one time.

He won't usually let me scritch him unless he first tells me he wants it by saying "tickle tickle" or "Your OK". He also loves beak kisses but again he is the one to initiate this by climbing up my chest and putting his face right in front of mine.

He will soon let me know in a polite way if my attentions are not wanted. If I were to persist he would not be so polite.

I agree that body petting could be a problem as it could send inappropriate sexual signals but you should get your parrot used to you handling his wings as this would help the use of harness fitting later on.

As long as you respond with sensitivity to your small friend I can see only benefits. It would certainly be wrong to force yourself on your parrot.

I suspect the author of the book you mention is worried that 'overpetting" might lead to over dependance. If so this is nonsense. If we adopt an animal as sensitive and intelligent as an African Grey as a companion we have to recognize that they are as dependent on us as a small child would be for their emotional and intellectual needs. This is especially true for single birds.

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2009/01/29 12:24

I think if you are lucky to have a grey that does allow a lot of petting then go for it as most of us have greys that do not allow but so much touching and handling. But you do have to be careful when they reach maturity that you avoid the back and areas that tend to stimulate the sexual urges that comes with the hormonal changes.

David you are so blessed to have a grey that is so affectionate, I am jealous as Josey allows some but not a lot anymore, oh well I take what I can get.

I agree with your gut feelings David and also the others comments. It is natural for a young bird or any other critter for that matter to seek out comfort and security by being with and being touched by their "Parront".

As they age most will cut down on the need for all that cuddling themselves. They may still want some scratches and interaction as the become older, but then after a few minutes, walk/fly away and start preening or whatever it is they wish to do then.

I look at it rather like a human child aging that requires less and less cuddling and reassurance as the age and become completely non-clingy.

My advice is to enjoy it while you can!! :-)

I just spent almost an hour giving Ana Grey scritches on her head and neck. She initiated the activity by coming over and pulling on my hand. When I started to scratch her, she just put her head down and loved it. If I stopped she tugged at my finger to start again. I ended up putting her on my chest and giving her scritches as she closed her eyes and just enjoyed it. She is only 5 months old. She does spend time alone, she plays very well with her toys and is all over her cage, net and boing all day long. She can entertain herself very well and I adore her. So can you give too much affection, well yes you can if you pester your grey all the time. Watch their body language if they don't want a cuddle back off, or they will bite, fly away, whatever to get some peace. If they want a cuddle they will let you know and you should just enjoy being included in their lives.

Rexxie is not a big cuddler. Him sitting on my shoulder and not biting my fingers ...i am happy.

He does have one very weird petty/scratching.....he loves being brushed. Really...a big flat human brush on his back over his wings and the top of his head. It is weird.

I also don't see a problem with it. Ours are big cuddlers at night. Our male perches on the back of the couch at night and tells me he wants cuddles when he comes down to where my head is turns around so his tail is facing me and bends down. I then stroke his back and he turns his head around and rests it on my hand for some head rubs. If he is really enjoying it he moves up under my chin and really pushes himself against me and rests his beak on my nose.

Our female sits on my boyfriends chest every night and has cuddles, she rubs her chin up and down his nose.