NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Has anyone taken their bird to Mexico from the US?

tatdmommy

I am thinking about maybe going to Mexico on vacation with my hubby maybe even spend a Summer down there. I would like to take Pumpkin with us.

Has anyone ever done this? I have read that the government isn't advising against taking birds to Mexico like they were in previous years. They have changed some of the rules when you enter the US. It still involves seeing a vet upon re-entry to the US, paying a bunch of fee's and a 30 day home quarantine.

After reading the USDA site it does seem like a chore.

Has anyone left their bird with a sitter after having it for about 6 months? She really loves women and I think she would be ok if a woman took care of her, I just don't want her to freak that Momma isn't here.

We haven't been on vacation in over 2 years and I just want to get away....I need a beach, no responsibilities (well limited), alcohol and a maid.:evil:<br><br>Post edited by: tatdmommy, at: 2009/01/28 06:12

I don't no anything about going to Mexico but I did check into bringing a US bird into Canada, and after the approx 1,000 to 1,200 in paperwork fees and 2 vet costs one in the states and one in Canada and the 45 day quarantine at 80.00 per day unless you quarantine the bird in your home, and if you do that there are not to be any other birds on the premises which means that you have to rehome your own birds for that length on time and they come and do spot checks on the living arrangements to. I found it was next to impossible and very very time consuming to go this route.

I hope you find going to Mexico is a little easier.

Carolyn & Mika

I wouldn't risk taking my Grey down to Mexico. But, here is a snippet from the website link below:

"Birds: Entry or transit of birds is strictly controlled. Only one or two personally owned pet birds may be brought into the U.S.A.. The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal Import Centers that contain quarantine facilities for pet birds are located only at the following special ports: Alaska (transit only); Los Angeles, CA; Miami, FL; Mission, TX (only for abandoned or smuggled birds); New York JFK, NY. Note that the U.S. laws restrict the entry of psittacine birds (parrots, parakeets, cockatoos, etc.) to two pet birds per family per year.

All pet birds (with certain exceptions for Canadian-origin birds) must be accompanied by a Health Certificate issued within 30 days prior to entry by the national government veterinary office of the country of export and are subject to a minimum 30 day isolation period at a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) operated quarantine facility. An advance reservation must be obtained from the quarantine facility and a deposit of USD 40.- must be paid prior to import.

Full details should be obtained well in advance of travel from a U.S. consulate or directly from the Veterinary Services (VS) - APHIS, (301)734-8364 (main phone number for live animal imports) and (301) 734-4704 (main fax number for live animal import) -U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 4700 River Road, Unit 39; Riverdale, MD 20737, U.S.A.; for birds returning to Hawaii, please call the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility at (808) 837-8092 for importation requirements.

Warning: Unauthorized importation of birds can result in seizure.

Pet birds originally obtained in the U.S.A. and returning to the U.S.A. with the owner are allowed to re-enter without a USDA import permit. The pet bird may be quarantined in the owner's home for the 30-day quarantine period."

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/page/customrules/US/rules.htm

The article LindaMary is talking about is in the March 2009 issue of BIRD TALK called "Mix Up in Mexico". These people were moving to Mexico with a umbrella cockatoo, bronze-winged Pionus and sun conure. They thought they had all the paperwork and almost lost their birds. It is my opinion that you should leave Pumpkin at home with a reliable sitter. You and your husband will have a much more relaxing and enjoyable vacation and Pumpkin will be comfortable at home. She will be over-enjoyed to see you when you return. Pumpkin will not forget you.

Wow- seems like it wouldn't be a very relaxing vacation having to worry about all this! I'd take everyone's advice, find a petsitter or a reliable friend, and leave your bird at home while you relax in the sun!

Having animals sure does complicate life doesn't it? But, they are worth it in the end! :)

"Pet birds originally obtained in the U.S.A. and returning to the U.S.A. with the owner are allowed to re-enter without a USDA import permit. The pet bird may be quarantined in the owner's home for the 30-day quarantine period."

That sounds like your answer. Much of the other info refers to importation of MEXICAN birds. Check with the authorities, and GET SOMETHING IN WRITING, but I'm betting that one pet bird is not a big deal. Birds cross the border all the time without passports. They just fly. People do drive and walk back and forth with dogs -- no problem.

Thanks everyone.

I read a ton about this last night. It's a lot of paperwork and permits. Probably more than I really want to take on for a 7-10 day vacation. I know I will relax more if she is home, but when we are gone I do worry about my daughter and the mastiffs. Now I can worry about my daughter, mastiffs and bird.

We may just stay home. I read somewhere when I was initially looking at getting a bird that you shouldn't leave them for their first year with you or first year they were alive, I don't remember which way it went. I can probably wait to go on vacation until next year, but I have this huge itch in my pants to JUST GO AWAY. I am sure everyone can identify with the it's time to go itch.

Thanks again everyone.

Heather if you are going for 7 to 10 days I would think Pumpkin would be fine for that amount of time. You are certainly bonded with your bird by now and you will miss her but she will be glad to see you when you get back. As long as you have someone who can come in and take care of her needs and provide some company for her then she should be fine with that.

I can understand how you feel you need a vacation as we all need to recharge our batteries so to speak from time to time and to relax and get away from it all so do it.

First things first...TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! :woohoo:

Honestly, Pumpkin will be fine if you have someone who can provide good care, be it in your home (best option in my opinion) or at a boarding place (where they require health cert from vet).

If you have someone come to your home (preferably staying there overnight), I would have them meet Pumpkin several times before you leave so he's at least familiar with them.

Go and have fun! When it's that time, it's that time! :)

Lisa