NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Water in back right side of birds neck

Big_Squishy

I bathe Bobo (CAG) as often as 3 times a week. He still does not like it , however I can normally get it done with little fuss. I have noticed that on a few occasions that Bobo will have water under his skin on the back right side of his neck. I can see is slosh around. I goes away within a few hours but it worries me. I thought that maybe it was water in his crop but then remembered that the crop is lower and in the front for the most part. What is happening, is this some sort of physical way his body deals or reacts to the stress of being bathed? Am I doing something to hurt him or that could hurt him? How might I prevent this?

JC

I bathe a lot of birds and I don't think I've ever seen or heard of such a thing. Is there any chance you can post a photo of what you're describing?

How long have you been noticing this? I know they can twist their necks quite a bit and not every crop may be created equal, but it does sound out of place based on your description.<br><br>Post edited by: Kaedyn, at: 2009/01/28 02:30

Just exactly how do you see water under the skin? There's only one way that water can collect under any upper area that you describe which is through the ear canal. But if that was going on you'd see a see a definite problem later on with the bird constantly tilting it's head to one side which eventually leads to it's equalibrium being seriously affected. That type problem can only be treated by a vet but what you say is that the problem always goes away within a couple of hrs. A bird who has a large amount of fluid in the area you describe can't get rid of that fluid nor will it disappear within a few hrs. What you may not know is that mu7scles do move around and can be seen moving around because they're not in synch with other muscles. It doesn't happen to every bird but it does happen.

The crop---according to your information that you originally gave way back when, your bird should be approx 1 yr old. At that age you should never see the crop anymore. It's visible when a bird is not weaned yet. The crop fills up with food, The crop looks like a golf ball, the food stays there and the bird's under developed digestive system slowly breaks down the food. The crop is a temporary storage area. After aa bird is fully weaned, the food goes straight down to a fully developed digestive area which works on the food.

Bathing---if it's you that's constantly bathing the bird 3x a week, then you're bathing the bird much too often. You're not allowing the breast area feathers and skin to become supple. This won't happen to the waterproof feathers such as flight and tail feathers but it will happen to feathers that aren't waterproof. Once a week is okay and any other bathing that occurs should be initiated by the bird and that happens because the bird feels that it's necessary.

The women here will tell you this and also men will tell you this---go and wash your hands constantly, every day, many times a day, 24/7. Eventually, your hands will look a little wrinkled and usually, the next step is hand cream which smooths out the skin, makes it softer and helps the wrinkles subside.

What you're doing is making that breast cream/coating very thin.

well I will look into everything that has been listed. I did not know that bathing was something that you could over do with a bird from such a humid origin. Everwhere I read it says at least once a week, many places say as often as you can get your bird to. Sugest that it will help to keep your birds skin soft and the pin feathers will be less irritating. Not to mention keep the dander down. I believe you just giving you some insight to why I was doing what I was doing.

I have seen the same with my bird when i bathed him the first time under the shower. Its just like a small balloon of water parallel to the neck bone on the backside of the neck.

I wasnt sure of it but it disappeared in few hours and nothing else happened. Sfterthat i became really careful not to spray lots of water over the head as Koki tends to drink all of it, so it went fineafter that.

Just try to reduce water falling over the head and mouth when u shower your bid

Good Luck