NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help with newly adopted Grey!

b_wheeler36

Okay so I just recently adopted a Timneh and he is about a year and half. I got him from an elderly lady who could no longer care for him anymore. I dont know if she just never held him or got him out of the cage because its going on 2 mos now that we have had him actually almost 3 and he has yet to come out of his cage. We have the open top cage and have a play dome on top and all... he has came out once then wouldnt go in for a while :/ When you try to pet him he lunges at you and tries to bite you I just dont know what to do. I absolutely love him and know this will take time but is it even possible? What do I do??:huh:

Hi, I'm no expert but I think he will come out of cage when he is sure its safe. He has to feel safe and secure. When I have company mine won't always come out. It just depends if he feels like it. They have a mind of there own. Have you tried coaxing him out with his favorite treat? I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and help you. Good Luck

The poor thing has not been handled much and it will take time to get him to trust you enough to let you touch him. I know 2 or 3 months sounds like a long time but if he was cage bound then it may take much longer for him to trust you, just don't push anything on him.

Open his door so he can come out if he likes, leave all his food and water on the inside so he has to go back in to eat and drink. Talk to him a lot, sit by his cage and read to him and don't try to pet him or touch him for a while. He may still view hands with fear and greys are very cautious birds and his natural instinct is to bite at what threatens him.

In the meantime why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us some more about you and this adopted Tag and what is his name?

Welcome b_wheeler36!

It sounds like you have your hands full with that newly re-homed Grey.

Are you able to slowly offer him treats through the cage bars? This is one way of getting him used to hands and building trust of you and your family being close.

You can also sit next to the cage and read, watch TV etc. to build trust with you close by.

There could also be something in the room that is scaring him. Cage placement is critical to them feeling safe with a wall behind them, not right next to a door that people come in and out of etc.

Were you able to talk to that lady at all regarding how the Grey was handled, treated and fed?

There are many things that could contribute to the fearfulness you are describing. He definitely sounds cage bound at this time.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

Ya I dont think the woman ever handled him at all and let him get out of his cage. We bought him that new cage a few weeks ago and have let it sit bescide his older cage to let him get used to it and tried to put him in his new cage and I have but them side by side and left the doors open and moved all his toys and food in hsi new one to show him its his and he's still in his old cage... am I doing something wrong lol

He is a male and his name is Smokey but I will post something in the welcome forum stating alittle about him ;)

Thanks again :)

well he loves his peanuts... unsalted of course haha... and he'll take them from me through the cage bars all the time and usually do alittle dance for me afterwards and he regurgitates his food showing his love for me so I know he's comfortable just maybe not comfortable enough...right now we leave his door open so he can come out on his own when he is ready. I know that taming these birds takes lots of patience but I have not much knowlege with them and I think that is what is frustrating me so much :/

You've adopted a pre owned bird but you're that he's still young and somewhat bendable. You may blame his attitude on the previous owner but there's that chance that going to a different owner has created that attitude. So, you may want to think about these things.

1. Patience. Patience is the key with birds. It is demonstrated with diet, handling, raising, and training. A person without patience is not the best type to own birds as it is required so often with these pets. Always remember that when you are attempting to teach the bird something new, remain patient for as long as it takes regardless of how difficult it may prove.

2. Persistence. Persistence is another key aspect to owner birds. Before preparing for training a bird, make yourself ready to stick to the plan all day every day.

3. Fear. Let your bird know that you aren't going to hurt him. Even if you are unable to get very close to your bird, simply sit in the background and do a quiet activity such as reading, crafting or watching a television on low volume. The bird will eventually become accustomed to you being in the room while not being forced to interact. Gradually decrease the space between you and the bird over time, but take it slow. If the bird ever appears uncomfortable, back off and take it slower. Don't pay a whole lot of obvious attention to the bird drawing more attention to the situation.

4. Make your presence fun. If the bird tolerates you being in the room, it's important for him to then associate you with good things, instead of bad. If he is bonded with his owner, he should watch, from afar, his owner interact with you. If you are the only person in the family he has trouble cooperating with, do some other fun things that can take his mind off of the situation. Offer plenty of treats that he finds extra tasty.

5--Closeness Many times it's too difficult to get close enough to hand a treat to an aggressive bird, so put the treats in a bowl and let him come to it. Toys are also an excellent way for making up with a bird. Offer him toys that he's only allowed to play with while you are present; these should be toys that he find extra enticing and fun to play with. If he has access to them while in his cage or on his playgym while you aren't around, then he will have no desire to go for the toy while you are there; he'll simply wait until later.

6--Being # 1. You be the primary care giver. Birds often respond better to the person or people who provide their primary care. If the bird is having problems with one person in particular, that person should take over the care duties. If this proves too difficult, then this person should take over the majority of the duties. Feeding is one of the most important jobs to take over. While feeding and cleaning the cage, the bird should be softly spoken too during the whole process. No stressful activity should take place at this time such as trying to force the bird out of the cage.

6. Hold your ground. This can be one of the toughest things to do when dealing with pet birds but one of the most important. When a bird behaves in a certain manner to get what he wants, and he is rewarded with it, he quickly learns to continue doing it. For example, if a bird screams for food, and he is then fed, he will soon learn that he will get fed when he screams. If he bites to get attention and he gets it, he will bite again. Birds don't care what kind of attention they get. If you scream when he bites, it's attention. It's loud and can seem awfully fun to a bird so he'll most likely try it again in the future.

These are some basic ideas that you can start with. In the future they may vary ( customized for your bird)

PS-- you should also know that a TAG is more outward than a CAG and will be somewhat more aggressive than a CAG.

Hi b-wheeler36, karma to you for re-homing a Timneh grey. Others have given you some great advice. I too have a Timneh so look forward to seeing some pictures of Smokey. I own a 5 month old grey so I can't offer any help with Smokey, except to say that trust is the first and most important thing you and Smokey need to develop. Lastly, I want to welcome you to the family.