NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

peaked a hole in the wall club

rierie

Well, I am now a member of he peaked a hole in the wall club. Well, Charlie had been attacking the thermostat and since it was really the best place for his cage, we attached a plastic cover over the thermostat a few weeks back. It is about three to four inches from his cage. Well He would climb on top of the cover and sit. We tried to distract him and would move him ever time he got up there. Charlie spends most of his time outside his cage.

I let him out in the morning, fresh food and water, then my husband puts him back up before he goes to get coffee.

Then when he comes back home he is allowed out again. Well this afternoon I got home from work, no problem, a little later looked in on charlie cause he was being awful quiet. yeap he was peaking on the border trim.. looks as if he has done it before too.... I told him bad bird, no.. and put him back.. he seems determined to get back on it too....

How do you distract them from chewing things they shouldnt? He wants to chew up everything he can get ahold of.

He has all kinds of stuff to tear up. toilet paper roll, wood, plastic bottle caps, all kinds of baby toys, tree sticks inside his cage, I give him whole pecans we get from the city park... leather straps from the pet shop and a long hanging thing made from rope boughten at the pet shop. And he chews on his playstand. Is nothing mine anymore... my house belongs to a grey... and he thinks he can eat it....lol

I even started giving him chicken bones, but he wants no part of them.

Post edited by: rierie, at: 2009/01/26 00:20<br><br>Post edited by: rierie, at: 2009/01/26 00:33

Josey's cage is close to the thermostat at my house but I have the cage pulled out enough she cannot reach it so I have not had a problem. If at all possible can you move it away from the wall enough that Charlie cannot reach it, if not you may have to relocate the cage elsewhere.

I see you have provided him with different things to chew on but what one type of thing does he like the most? Find that out and provide plenty of that type of thing for him to chew to his heart's content.

There is not a whole lot you can do to distract him from chewing on what he likes like the thermostat except to keep him far enough away from it that he can't reach it.

Sorry I don't have any more ideas for you but maybe some of the other members will have some better ones for you.

So sorry about your naughty grey. Ana Grey is a naughty girl too and likes to chew. I just keep her cage away from the walls. I cover up anything I don't want her to chew on with a towel/sheet or other means to keep her away from them. She loves to chew on dry straw or reed toys. She likes to shred colored plastic straws so I knot some together and she plays away. Judy's idea of giving her a piece of wood that she likes to chew on as her very own sounds like a good idea to me. I also keep Ana with me or in her cage at all times when I leave a room. She has playstands in all the rooms. Wrapping your grey's favorite treat in paper might also help to keep him busy. Good luck with finding a way to keep him otherwise occupied.

My Charlie is chewing his way through a phone book at the moment,he seems to like the challange.He too is naughty and put a hole in my setee the other week.He is fully flighted so all I can do is try and distract him. It does appear that once they start on something they wont give up.He is always goig to the setee to have another bite at it.

Well Rierie, as others have already stated. You can't stop a Grey or other parrot from chewing. The Cage, playtops, boings etc. must be kept far enough away from the wall so they can not get to items you don't want chewed on.

Since some Greys are flighted, you have to watch them every minute or they will back back at the forbidden fruit tree trying to grab a bite. ;-)

My grey is not very destructive BUT he loves the downstairs bathroom. He seems to be intent on carving a hole in the baseboard near the toilet. I imagine he is creating a nest hole. If we attempt to use this bathroom, he bites our shoes. We can distract him by playing ball (he throws, we fetch, of course) or taking him into another room, but he is pretty determined. He will chew on a phone book if it is near his favorite bathroom spot--phone books, wood, etc., are ignored in his cage. So good luck.