NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Good Deal?

Acappella

I have a chance to get this cage for Dorian

in white, barely used, for $475cdn + tax. Retail new is $725cdn. I'd have to drive a couple hours to get it. It divides into two cages, but of course Dorian would use the whole thing. Dimensions are 42" x 26" x 55" (64" H when top is open.) It's 5mm gauge wire with 5/8" bar spacing. Do you guys think this is a decent deal? PC_4226D.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Acappella, at: 2009/01/24 22:11

PC_4226D.jpg

That is exactly like Josey's cage but hers does not have the slide out divider section so therefore she only has one big door but yes I think it is a good deal. Josey's was cheaper but I got it at a bird fair but I have looked online and saw them for more than what this one of yours costs.

I like the style of this cage with the playtop on one side that does not go so high up but Josey still climbs up on the toy hook to perch, its the highest point.

Eve I don't use the open top just for that very reason but Josey likes to play or perch on the closed top some but she does come out the little door at the very top of the highest part above the big door, it is not shown as open in the pic, there is where she comes out and promptly drops a poop, hence I always put papers down for that very reason.

That price seems high for a used cage.

I would not be worried about an open top scalloped type cage. Both my Cages are scalloped open tops. Sized properly, a Parrot can not open either side. It is too heavy. Also, it is just an automatic procedure to latch the top when you close it. I have read of one instance of someone that claimed their bird got stuck in between the top rotating pieces. However it seems like a fluke and I doubt the post is completly trueful.

There are literally tens of thousands of scalloped cages out there without any incidents as mentioned in that one online incident.

Here are some links to good cage prices, new with free shipping:

http://www.qualitydiscountcages.com/products.asp?id=16

http://www.birdcagesgalore.com/large_Parrot_Cages/8003628.html

http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/CTGY/Large_Bird_Cages

Those are good sites, Dan. Problem is I'm in the great white north up here, and there can be a huge $ penalty from customs on anything that crosses the border.

I wouldn't open the top right now as Dorian is in a room with a low ceiling. That's one reason I was looking at this particular cage: it has a playtop but on a lower level so he can use it without hitting his little grey head:P The only reason I'm hesitating is my goal of getting my credit card down to $0, and this will put me almost two months behind schedule. I just think that I'll be kicking myself if I don't get this one when I have the chance. I have to make a decison by tomorrow morning. Thanks for the input guys.

I try Judy :-)

I just hate to see someone feeling pressure that if they don't by something right now, when they would rather wait a little and have that pressure.

I know this isn't that sort of high pressure sales tactic by a car salesman. Saying that the price is only good today, but it always pays to do some research if you have time and don't need something this day or week. :-)

I got that exact cage for Fred and she LOVES it!!

For bedtime she snuggles in the lower section under the playpen - makes her feel secure.

She comes out through the open top and stays on the perch there or her playpen. The only issue we ever had with the open top was through a little unknowing negligence on my boyfriends part. He opened the top (there is a latch too) and let her out but did not put the perch across. Well she was scotting her way along one of the sides when she pulled it over on herself - that would not have been so bad but her toe got caught in the hinged space between the moving section and the fixed section below it. No matter what, she could not pull it out and I could not work it out. I had to grab a screwdriver and undo the hinge to get her toe out.

A complete fluke to be sure but now we NEVER open that top without putting the perch on. I even have Fred wait to climb out until I have it secure so she can't hurt herself while I am trying to get the perch placed.

Well, a friend told me I shouldn't buy this cage because something, she calls it my guardian angel, was telling me I might need the $ for something else. So last night my cat jumps into bed with me and one side of his face is all swelled up, like a chipmunk with his cheek full of nuts. We're off to the vet this afternoon, where I'm sure they'll find a place for me to put the money I was going to use on the cage. :( Wish me luck.

Yeah, I have that same problem every time I go back home (Which I am tonight). In my home town is where the Drs Foster & Smith is based out of, So I go to their outlet store and I can never walk out of there cheaply.

But when I get home, I have happy cats and birds :)

Acappella - I don't see a new thread yet in the off-topic forum... Please do start it so we can keep up with how your kitty is doing.

(I had a free kitty many years ago that miraculously turn into a $1,200+ kitty within a month of getting him...so I can relate).

Good luck to you and kitty.

I have this exact same cage and I bought it new for 499 plus tax...search the internet...you'll find it cheaper than 700 something. I have sand powder coat color and my Keywe LOVES it... It's a great cage and great size for her to play in.