NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

really messed up

rierie

Well Charlies toenails was beginning to dig into my fingers.. So I looked up how to cut his toenails, and thought ok.. I have trimmed dogs, cats, kids, babies.

My husband and I can do this. I gave my husband the clippers. and he said no he wanted to use the dog clippers. ok no problem, I sterilized them in bleach and then alcohol. And we preceded to trim charlies toenails. I toweled him with no problem really snuggled him to my chest and got a foot out. My husband clipped. not bad except he trimmed one too short. It preceded to bleed and bleed. I put cornstarch and flour and it still wouldnt stop bleeding.. tied a couple times with no success, so I then cauterized it with a hot knife. still bleeding, and I am thinking oh what am I going to do now.. So I put more cornstarch and flour on it. while telling bob I think we are going to have to take him to the vet. but Thank goodness the second treament of cornstach seems to be working. it hasnt been bleeding for about fifteen minutes now.

Even though I was the one toweling him, and then after the damage was done, had to retowel. and treat him. I was thinking oh my, when this is all over he wont want nothing to do with me. But it is Bob he is scared of. all bob did was trim the first two nails. I had to do all the rest after the damage was done. Go figure....

i then toweled him and finished the other foot myself.

He is now sitting on top his cage and just sitting there all traumatized. I feel so bad.

I know I have to watch his foot for any infection now too. any suggestions are more then welcome...<br><br>Post edited by: rierie, at: 2009/01/23 01:40

Poor Charles but he will get over it but it may take a day or two. I have never trimmed my grey's nails, she does a fairly decent job of keeping hers filed down on the rough perches she has but she still scratches me some. I would never do the clipping of nails myself but then that is me, I would be afraid I would do the same thing your husband did, cut it too short.

I have had her talons filed down a little with a dremel tool at the vet's office but I just couldn't do it myself.

Don't feel so bad about it, I am sure Charlie will soon get over it and be back to his normal self, just give him a little space to pout and get his dignity back.

bob feels so bad, he says charlie moved on him.. i have the concreke perch and I put some that sandpaper stuff in his cage by his food, but it wasnt helping.. he just keep chewing it up.... I know the next time he will go to vet..

He is still just sitting on his cage.<br><br>Post edited by: rierie, at: 2009/01/23 01:46

The concrete perches are ok but not anything that is like sandpaper. Sandpaper perches will make their feet sore because is takes the skin off.

If you get brave enough to try the clipping again.. Get some Quick Stop. It works better than flour or cornstarch but you have to moisten it before putting it on. I was wondering why it wasn't working till I read the directions again. Also don't use the dog clippers. They are too big. I made this same mistake.

The trick to trimming the nails is to do in regularly and only take off a little at a time. The vein inside the nail will gradually recede with regular trimming.

I said I was not going to try to do Whisper's again after it went so badly the last time but when I took her to the vet they charged $22. Just for a nail trim. This was on top of the $200 bill for the rest of the visit and labwork. Heck I can get a whole manicure for less than $22 LOL:laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/01/23 02:02

My favorite perches ever are called Safety Pumice Perches. You can google them and find where they are sold. I had one cement perch in each of my birds cages but it wasn't doing the trick. I was still concerned about them hurting their feet so I didn't have it as their "resting" perch, but down by their food so I knew they would go to it throughout the day.

I also found the vet extremely expensive, particularly with three and they'd get nails so sharp it would feel like needles.

The Safety Pumice Perches have a smooth top and bottom and only have the pumice stuff on the sides where the nails hit. I put swapped these out with their resting perches so they'd spend a lot of time on them. Within about 2 weeks their nails were down to a very nice level and they have maintained them that way ever since.

No, I don't get commission from them :lol: . I just love them (and so, apparently, do my babies!).

Lisa

I have the concrete perch by his water, and I put a sheet of gravel paper in the bottom of the cage, but it wasnt working. The last time the got sharp, i threw the paper in the bottom and it done the trick, after a few days I removed it. But he has mmoved up a higher in his cage and not on the bottom as much. I have a sand perch I picked up by accident thinking it was concrete. But I never put it in the cage as it said it was for cockatiels.

Do you all think it will help? I dont want charlie to have to go threw this again, but his nails was getting sharp, he wasnt scratching me, but digging in from holding on..

There's birds that will get on to things such as concrete perches, irregular sized knotty wood and the nails will stay relatively blunt. There's birds that will go on to the same items and they don't grip these items tightly nor do they remain on these items for long periods of time. There's birds that will do their own manicure and keep the nails blunt and relatively short. There's birds that won't touch their nails other than taking the dirt out from between the toes.

So, there's birds that do need to have their nails trimmed and there's other birds who will do it themselves or stay on items that aid in keeping them blunted.

Putting gravel paper in a tray is not a very good idea because as opposed to a budgie, a medium sized parrot will walk on that gravel paper,dig into it and loosen the gravel and that loose gravel will irritate the soles of the foot. It's good that you stopped doing that.

You have a bird that needs to have it's nails done by a person. There's loads of birds that are the same way.

If you want to learn how to do something like this, your main focus should be blunting the nail, not cutting it off. When dealing with a bird's claws, dog or cat clippers aren't ever used. You would simply get a small nail clipper, have one person hold the bird and clip the tiniest bit from the tip of the claw. This is the only way to do it because you have no idea where the blood line is or you can have a professional do it.

PS--taking the tip of a claw off causes the bird to grip something more tightly because that tiny point which is allowing him to lightly hold on to something is gone.

DSCN0020.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/01/23 18:22