NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is he sick?

Kook

Hi Kook

glad to hear you got to see the vet. sounds like you and your baby both are exhausted right now.

while not new at having animals, including very very sick ones, I am new to having greys.

my opinion would be that your bird would find comfort in knowing that you are near, but needs a calm, WARM place while recovering.

If your living area can be made warm and the noise/activity level kept down, it might be a good idea for him to be there, so he can see you and you can keep an eye on him

might be a good idea to offer smaller amounts of food on a more frequent basis until he is stronger

hopefully some of the more experienced "veteran" family around here will read your post and offer you some better advice :)

you will be in my thoughts and prayers again today, let me/us know how you are doing

hugs

pynk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening everyone

The vet called and said that he found a bacteria in his blood...when I asked the name of it,he had a weird kind of answer.. evasive in a way...,than I asked if it was Chlamydia Psittaci ,he said that Chlamydia Psittaci cant be seen in the blood...now im all confused

Anyhow he said that for three days he should get an injection evryday starting tom...

So in a way,I had a shy smile,some hope...but I dont wanna have high hopes as well...I need to see the vet tomorrow again to really understand

And thats when I ll update you all and hopefully my info will prevent and help your babies God forbid anything ever happens

Love and respect to all

Your presence was so reassuring to me...like a positive energy was waiting for me here on the net...really thank you

TLC<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/01/24 17:30

Dear all...Zeus kook just passed away an hour ago,I burried him near the sea...I am here writing on the internet to be able to stop crying...I need to express in some way

ok not being able to concenterate..will write you detail tomorrow so you know his disease to have more knowledge...Love you all and enjoy your babies

I dont feel I did enough...Afetr we got home i put him in the room ,alone so he could sleep better there since I had to take a shower...the scene of him gasping for breath,how he had no more strength to stand...I m going crazy...I feel bad...I feel like a monster...I could have stayed with him

But you know the worst...he was looking better today,I had to force feed him with baby food,and he loved it

He loved me,he did nt want to og

He was hapy

Life is cruel

It is truly sad, heartbreaking and your right, sometimes life is just cruel and unfair.

But, you tried your best to provide him with a warm quite room to rest and fight that disease. You took him to a vet, got the tests and medicine administered.

We all look back and think such thoughts of what or how we could have done something different. It is a normal reaction to such a terrible loss.

He did love you and keep that memory of him as he would want you to. That little precious life brought joy and love to you, just as you did to him. Thank god he found such a loving home to have during his short life. Atleast he knew what it was like to be loved and to give it.

This will pass, but the fond memory will always bring a smile to your face when you remember him as he was. He lives on in your memories and is now at peace and painless.

God Bless you for giving him a good home.

Oh Kook,

I am so sorry for your loss - I know you are crazy with grief but do not blame yourself. Zeus knew that he was loved and being cared for. You did everything you could for him, sometimes things happen and we never understand the reason.

My heart is heavy for you today, and I will keep you and Zeus in my prayers

pynk

I am so sorry to hear that Kook lost his fight for life but yes life can be cruel but at least you had him for a while and he was happy. Know in your heart you did all you could for him but his fate was already sealed but he is gasping no longer as he is in a place where he will never know another painful moment, he is soaring over the Rainbow Bridge.

Kook did love you and he also knows you did all you could so don't blame yourself as he wouldn't want that for you.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hello to all

My day without him was just a painful silence...I will not go into detail as its too painful...

The bacteria he had (up to the vet is called

She said its probably due to the poor cleanliness environment where I purchased him as well as poor feeding etc...I did google that bacteria but didnt underrstand much

Anyhow EVERYBODY THANK YOU FOR YOU SUPPORT and Prayers...It really helped to know there are you out there that r having a thought for me and Zeus and that you understand the unmeasurable sadness im in!

Now I have some surprising news and I need your help once more

The day Zeus left us,my husband (i believe cuz he didnt know how to stop my crying)was almost begging to go get a new grey...I stubbornly refused.

Today we went to the place we bought him to just tell the bastard thats selling birds that our baby had died!And there he had a bunch of new babies,3 to 9 months old....

We spent 2 hours at the shop watching them but I still couldn't make up my mind

I felt its too early ...I dont know how to explain that but my husband coulnt understand that!

Anyhow we r (my husband and I) a way too sensitive couple.. and we decided that if we get greys again,it will be 2,not only one!

The seller insisted that if we get 2,they might never learn to talk(which is fine for me) but Im just wondering:is that true?

He also said that they wont love me for sure cuz they ll have each other!!!Is that true ???

I dont know what to do

Its 1 30 am and I can find no sleep...

Love and blessing to all

Hiya. I know just how bad you are feeling. I have been there.The only advise I can offer at the moment is not to rush into getting a new bird. Let yourself heal a bit and then decisions will be clearer.

Many people have more than one grey and they talk and love the humans in the flock but as I say I would give yourself some time.

Yes...I so agree...Well the fact that my husband didnt understand y I needed more time made me question myself!!!Y did I need more time???but there we go...im normal!

No other bird will replace my Zeus,but my husband said:every bird you ll have will be a special one and your favorite...

Well thank you for a quick response,and I just trust my instinct...and for now my instinct says:no,I can't

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. You must be feeling emotionally and physically stretched to the limit. I agree with others here. You have to listen to your heart about being ready to get a new grey. It's probably very hard for your husband to see you upest so he naturally wants to make things better for you. Just let him know how you're feeling.

When you are ready for a new bird I'd be very dubious about getting another one from the same place you got Zeus, expecially since, if I'm understanding what you wrote in a previous post, the vet is saying he may have come into your home already sick. At least make sure you can take the new bird to a vet for a complete check before you bring it home.

I hope when you are ready a bird who needs a good caring home will come into your life. It's obvious you have a lot of love to give.

Hello Kook - I was away for a few days and came back to read about poor Zeus. I feel really bad for you and what you are going through. You absolutely did your best for him so try to remember the happier times and know that he will live in your memory forever.

Onto getting new birds. The first thing I would say is to definitely NOT get them from the same place you got Zeus. If the bacteria was due to that, then it is likely the new babies have it also. You didn't say in your post what the specific bacteria was? I had some birds (finches) die from Avian Micobacterium Avium (or something like that) and it is all over the world but it was also likely that they got it from the previous owner's because of the dirty environment and lack of healty foods (only seeds to eat). That's not something you want to deal with again and it's also sometimes something that can be passed to humans. SO, I would try to find a new breeder/store if you're going to get more.

As to the timing, only you can decide that. For some, getting another one soon is helpful. For others, they can't face it for several months. Everyone is different in that way. DEFINITELY get rid of everything you can that was in the cage and wash really well and disinfect the cage and whatever else you can't get rid of.

In regards to getting two vs. one...if you give them each 1:1 time every day and handle them a lot and such, they will bond to you as well. Many people on here have more than one, some since they were babies. If you talk to them a lot, they will also likely learn to talk. Some birds don't ever talk, even if they're raised by themselves, but most Greys do and I don't think having two of them will make it any less likely.

And again, I am very sorry for your loss. You will know when it's the right time to bring another feathered friend (or two) into the home.

Warmest Regards,

Lisa

Good morning !

Thank you for the advice

Acapella I think I did mention the bacteria,its micrococus.

Yes I know it would be better to get from another shop...but thats if I was living in a civilized country where you can find clean shop:HERE YOU DONT!

The place I am getting them from:the filthiest place that can exist,we had a shower once we got back home,I dont not believe(100%) sure they dont wash the cages of any of the bird...they just throw away the food ...there are flies by million,even in the water they drink...poor birdies spend their days flicking the flies away...I mean if I was in a normal country,this place would not only but shut down,but hte man would be in jail...IM NOT EXAGGERATING

But here is what I feel...I want to get them from him again :cuz I love grey and also cuz I could give them a chance!I know I can't save all of them...but 2 is already good...I didnt sleep right!I still can't make up my mind...but i mostly feel I want my babies home...poor them...If I do Ill take pictures of the place so that you can understand what I mean...

As for the cage,I cleaned it with soapy water and a bit of bleach...I threw away the toys I had made for him,I couldnt stand seeing them no more...so that won't be an issue

The wooden stick,I ll have to buy new ones:unless there is a way to sterilize them(pls can you help me on that!)

Well its early morning and the house is way too quiet...I ll just eagerly wait for some more of your advices...

And yes I have loads of love to give

We r a couple that can't have children...grey will be our kids...

Again,than kyou all,your presence makes all way less harder on me!

Thank you

Hi Kook -

I hope you didn't take offense to our suggestion that you get your new bird(s) from a new place. You are right, I was assuming that you had a choice of better places but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Have you asked the vet if there is something you can do to treat the birds as soon as you get them to kill the micrococcus bacteria if they do have it when you take them in? It would be worth it to take them in immediately and have them checked out and treated if needed. If it's not something he can treat, then you may just be setting yourself up for heartache again if the tests do come back positive.

If by wooden stick you mean the big dowel that is in a lot of cages, then you can bake it in the oven to sterilize it. Or if it won't fit I would put it outside in the sun for a few days (after cleaning really well). I would recommend, however, that you just buy new perches for the cage. They don't have to have that big stick going across as the Greys will climb around to wherever they want to go. I don't know if you have places to buy a good variety of perches but if it's the same store you get the birds from, I would clean them well and sterilize before you put them in the cage. There are a lot of places online to get them also if you can get them that way.

I forgot to mention on my last post, but one benefit I think there is for having more than one is they keep eachother company when you're out of the house. You may end up with fewer behavioral issues due to boredom (screaming, feather destruction, etc). There are ways to try to keep them busy when you're gone though so it's certainly not necessary to have more than one.

Also, are you planning to house them in the same cage or get a separate one for the 2nd bird if you get more than one? The general consensus is that each should have it's own space (cage, at least), but some people do keep them together particularly if they're together from babies. Some people will have one big playstand that they can both be on and have their "together time".

Two birds is definitely twice the expense, space, time, etc., but most of us with multiples find it worth it. The biggest thing is that you have the time for each of them and it sounds like you and your husband could make it work if that's what you both want. You certainly have the LOVE to make it work! :)

Keep us posted as you make your decision,

Lisa

Hello Lisa

Oh no I am not offended at all of the suggestion to buy them from another shop...Its actually what I would have done if it was possible!!!

I just got off the phone with the vet.I told her that I would love to buy 2 ,And that I ll come straight to her to have their blood tested as well as feces etc...She said that since its the same shop,they most likely have the same bacteria ,and that NOTHING IS FOR GRANTED,even if she treats them with the appropriate medication!

She said that never in her work here in Qatar,had she seen a healthy pet coming out of a pet shop...But that dogs and cats usually are just easier to treat...and that poor birdies are more sensitive so it will be a question on luck

So the vet isn't saying:if we catch the disease early than he ll (or they will ) for sure recover!)

God its so hard...I just dont know what to do

In case I get them,They will be in the same cage,I ll build with my husband a big big big play area for them in our living room...

As for time,I dont work and hardly ever go out...so 95% of mt time will be with them!

you mentionned that if they are together in the cage since babies then its fine,is 3 months old baby enough ???or too late already?

Since I can't bake the perches I ll just put new ones...new ones might be plastic or something until they had a few days in the sun!No my friends,they have nothing here for Parrots,no pellets,no toys,no play gyms...

Having said all that ,I still didnt make up my mind,as my husband just called and he said that view the conditions they r living in...he doesnt 1% think they wont have the bacteria...and is telling me to know if I m mentally prepared for that...

Nothing is helping here...