NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I need help: My bird is sick

ranaz

My african grey is sick, not eating, and weak. I dont have avian vet in my area, i took her to a general vet, he only pescribed to give her vitamine in water but she reuses, she thew it up this morning. What to do. Her poop is only water and liquid white, since shes nnot eating anything since 48 hours

Hi Ranaz... did you call 911? oh wait its 999 here!

Yeah I know two vets, one in Dubai and one in Sharjah. Both good, but Dubai guy is $$$$$! The one in Sharjah is so cheap you'd go there daily! Let me know and I will guide you to the one you wanna go to.

My cell ... Emailed to you.<br><br>Post edited by: Falconeer, at: 2009/01/19 19:38

Hospital phone: 04 3401060

Hospital fax: 04 3401070

Email: info@nadvethosp.com

24 hour emergency: 050 8817048

Preferred appointment times vary a little depending on the time of the year however are available every afternoon between Saturday and Wednesday. Please contact the reception for further details.

A: From Shk Zayed Road / Safa park.

1. Leave Shk Zayed road at interchange number 2 and follow signs for Nad Al Shiba

2. Go straight across the crossroads/traffic lights at Al Quoz and carry straight on following signs to Nad Al Shiba on route 69.

3. At first round about go straight following signs for Nad Al Shiba on route 69

4. After the camel crossing you come to the second roundabout on which there is a mosque. Turn right at this round about following signs for ‘Camel pens’ and ‘Al Arab club’. After three speed bumps you will come to a crossroads. Turn left at this crossroads following signs for Nad Al Shiba Veterinary Hospital.

5. After 1.5 Km follow the sign indicating a right turn for Nad Al Shiba Veterinary Hospital.

6. After 500M you will see another sign pointing right, please take the second road from the right (between the camel pens).

7. The Nad Al Shiba Veterinary hospital is a large sand coloured building with a domed roof.

B: From Al Ain on highway 66. (Please join the Al Ain road from Emirates road 311)

1. Coming from Al Ain direction please leave highway 66 at exit 9 signposted to Nad Al Shiba 1+2. At the end of the slip road take a left turn over the bridge following signs for Nad Al Shiba.

2. At the round about go straight following signs for Nad Al Shiba.

3. At the next round about go straight following signs for the camel pens and Nad Al Shiba 1.

4. Carry straight on this road (34 Street) past the signs for the ‘Latifa School’ on the left hand side. Continue straight for 2.5 Km after speed bumps until you see signs for Nad Al Shiba Veterinary Hospital on the left hand side.

5. Continue as from A6

C: From Dubai on Highway 66

1. Leave highway 66 at exit 6 (opposite Ras Al Khor nature reserve) and follow signs to Nad AL Shiba on route 69.

2. Take a right slip road on route 69 following signs for Nad AL Shiba, Al Quoz, Al Wasl and Al Safa.

3. At the roundabout take a left turn following signs to Nad LA Shiba

4. Continue straight over the next round about

5. Continue straight passing signs on the right for Nad Al Shiba police station and Nad AL Shiba clinic. At the next round about take a right turn sign posted to Nad Al Shiba 1, camel pens and Latifa School

6. Continue as from B4

Opening times are 8am to 1pm Thursdays and 8am to 5pm on Saturdays to Wednesdays.

Outside of these hours we provide 24 hour emergency cover : Please contact 050 8817048

Good morning Rana - If you happen to check this before heading out to work/vet (which I think is in about 30 minutes for you), please let us know how Koki is doing this morning.

and most of all... Good Luck at the vet!

Lisa

Oh Rana...I don't know what to say. I am so very, very sorry for your loss of Koki. I know based on our discussions that you really did everything you could to help her. You must be feeling so much sorrow today. Please know that I'm sending a big {{{hug}}} your way.

Lisa

Thank you all for the warm thoughts and prayers.

It was a terrible feeling especially when i burried her...I hope shes over the rainbow shouting her own name as she used to.

I just miis her flight into the living room and the way she lands on top of my head and says KOKI.

I will never forget her...

The good news is that Ive acted very quickly and gotten a baby grey 2 hours back.

Felt like I couldnt come home to an empty cage

I called her also Koki, so that I will always remember the first Koki...

She is still hand feeding

I donot know much about that but Falconeer is helping out a lot...hes just an angel sent by God...

God Bless you all and may you and your birds live happily ever after...

Rana

Rana,

I am truly sorry for the loss of your grey, I cant imagine how hurt you must be feeling.

Remember it takes time to grieve the loss of something/someone, I cant say its right or wrong that you went straight out and bought another grey, it will maybe help the grieving process but will never replace your old one.

Do you have experience of hand feeding? If not you will need help and guidance by someone experienced, do you have a vet to show you how or the store you bought the baby from? How old is your new baby and how many feeds are they on? We have had members here in the past who have had accidents when feeding, it should only be done by someone experienced.

Good look with your new baby Koki, remember we have lots of experienced members here, please ask if you need any help, we are also here for any support you may need at this sad time.

Caroline.

Sorry but just something I forgot to mention in my last post, as you didnt have a necropsy done to find out why your baby died, I would advise on sterilising the old cage or even buying a new one if you havn't already, same goes for any toys etc.

Caroline.

Thats a very good point Caroline, I would be very leery of putting another bird in that cage and using those same toys without cleaning them thoroughly, you can never be too careful. A necropsy should have been performed so you would know what you were dealing with.

Thank you Caroline...I cant believe how lucky I am to join this website and get to meet you and the other online

You seem very caring and sweet

Thank you for the concern about my new baby bird

I am npt exactly sure but the shop keeper said she must be around 4 months.

I wasnt aware that she still hand feeds until she started making this strange noise but Falconeer told me its because she needs hand feeding.

I dont know how often but Falconeer tols me around 20 ml each time should be enough.

Im gona take her to a vet on Saturday to examine her and get some advice. In the mean time if you have any info that can be helpful, I will really appreciate it

Thank you...really

I have burried all Kokis toys with her...

I have washed the cage and all the room where she had been with antiseptic and I have sprayed germ killing Dettol after washing

I let it air for 4 to 5 hours and I have carefully washed the wooden perch inside and done as Falconeer suggested, I have baked in in the oven for around 10 minutes. It didnt burn but it browned and I guess that should be enough.

I have even washed the walls cose to the cage with dettol, w ashed the carpet beneath the cage.

Anything else you think i shouldvve done?

Wow Rana - it sounds like you've been very busy and I'm sure all that helped keep your mind off of Koki's passing.

It sounds like you've taken a lot of precautions with regards to something possibly being passed on to baby Koki. It's hard to say 100% without a necropsy being done. I know this is going to probably sound horrible, but maybe there's a chance you could still bring her in for one as it's been less than 24 hours and it's relatively cool there outside I think...the vet could probably advise you if it's possible or not and how to preserve her body.

I'm very disappointed that the store where you got baby Koki didn't go through what/how she was eating there. It doesn't seem that they have the best interests of the birds they're selling in mind. I'm glad you found the forum here as there is such an enormous wealth of experience and wisdom available at almost any hour of the day or night.

I'm glad you're taking her to the vet on Saturday. Is it the one in Dubai? I would definitely go to the best one you can find. I'm glad you have Faisal nearby as well.

Keep asking questions and posting about her progress and how she's settling into your home.

And pictures...we need pictures! :)

Lisa

• 2 months later...