NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi there! I am Charliesgirl!

Hi, I hope you will all give Charlie and I a warm welcome. I hope to add his picture tomorrow when I can capture a good one of him.

First, let me say I thought I would never have a parakeet, any bird, any parrot, nor an African Grey. I have 5 children ranging in ages from 7mths-7yrs old so I am busy as is.

Never say never though. You see, my mom and dad came up with a crazy idea that they wanted a parrot so they bought an African Grey, and named him Charlie. I like animals, and my dad wanted me to come over to meet Charlie. Well Charlie squaked at me, and wanted to bite me as I put my hand closer so I felt we did not have too much of a connection.

A few months later, my dad was driving with my mom in the passenger seat, and felt he had to pull over, and passed out. My dad nearly died that day. There was something wrong with my dad, one thing led to another, and suddenly I had to take Charlie.

I did not want Charlie because well Charlie did not like me, but of course I took him. When I took Charlie he had a cut on the skin over his sternum from a fall at my dad's house flying into the tile, so I took Charlie to the vet.

The vet sutured him up, and unbeknowingly to me, the vet noticed the bird did not show too much of a connection with me. I told her it was not my bird, and that I was just watching him for my dad. Then making me even more uncomfortable, the vet gave me an antibiotic that I had to administer orally:ohmy:

Well, I gave it to Charlie for 2 weeks, twice a day, and I started to feel like Charlie was my baby, and Charlie started only liking me. Then when we went back to the vet, Charlie would only stay right by me, and when the vet took Charlie, he kept looking at me, and she said, "Wow, look how the two of you have bonded"? She then explained she did not see that connection before, and I admit I was impressed myself.

So, here we are, I have had Charlie for about 2 months later, and my dad has had 2 surgeries and is still in the hospital. My dad asked if I was ready to give Charlie back, and I could not say.

Charlie is about 9 months old now, and has learned to say words in combination with birdie while here. He says Good Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, and Pretty Birdie.

I kind of feel like Charlie is my birdie. He never bites me, and he kisses me. He likes to trick my husband. He will put his head down to him for my husband to pet him, but when my husbands fingers get close enough Charlie goes for the bite. Charlie likes me, but I think he repeats after my husband.

One more thing, my parents thought Charlie was a boy, but Charlie has grey streaks under his red tail so Charlie might really be a girl, but that's ok.

If you got this far, thank you for having Charlie and I.

Hello Charliesgirl and welcome to the family, yes I said family for that is what we all feel like here to one another and you are part of that now and we look forward to hearing more about you and Charlie.

Boy you do have your hands full with 5 kids and all young ones at that but be sure to keep those young fingers far from Charlie's reach as he could scar them for life if he chose.

That was so wonderful that you could take Charlie when your Dad was ill but nowe you may not want to give him back, if and when it comes to that I hope you can work something out between you for Charlie's sake, I know you have come to love him a lot but remember your Dad loves him too.

You can always have Charlie DNA'd to see if he is really a she or not but that is up to you but at least then you will know for sure.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so read thru them at your leisure and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

I look forward to seeing some pics of Charlie when you can manage to get some posted for us to see.

Thanks, I think my dad is going to tell me to keep Charlie, but I am ok either way. I love Charlie, and I am proud to have been able to bond with my dad's bird.

I don't care if Charlie is a boy or a girl, I just read that usually if they have grey under their red tail they are female. I am just going with boy because my parents name him Charlie. I hope he/she doesn't mind:blink:

Sexing a grey according to the markings on a tail turns out to be very unaccurate and that type of guessing can't really be done until the bird is entering adolescent maturity which is 3yrs and older. As Judy says, DNA is the way to go for 99% accuracy but as you said, it isn't important. Loads of people here have greys and they aren't sure of the gender

Hi and welcome. I hope your dad is on the road to recovery. Charlie is a lucky bird having so many people love him so much You have boded with him which is great. I am sure these greys know who will care for them ,as you did so well . Good luck

Welcome Charliesgirl!

It's nice having you here. Your story of how you have taken on the responsibility for you father is wonderful. It's also good to hear that a close bond has established between you two.

Either way it works out with whether or not you get to keep Charlie. That bond will remain and he will recognize you every time you go to your dads. That is of course, if you don't get to keep him. :-)

Hi Charliesgirl and Charlie. I hope your dad is doing well. This is a wonderful story about you and Charlie. When your dad gets home, Charlie will be a great companion for him while he is recuperating. You are a wonderful daughter to help the family out this way and Charlie will remember you for it.