NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

messy bird, talking

rierie

Well everyday when I get the broom out and sweep up the cage I tell charlie, You know your a messy bird.

well today I got the broom out and started sweeping, he says "messy bird". I was so proud of him.

He has been chatting away yesterday and so far today he hasnt shut up either.

so we have

Messy bird

pretty bird

crazy dog

peek a boo

dog barking

dog whining

whistling

snoopy

he is 7 months old, how good is that?

and is him saying it when I got the broom out recognizing thinking?

rierie wrote:

and is him saying it when I got the broom out recognizing thinking?

Speech in context.. ie, saying the correct words for the situation, and not just being a mimic. AG's are one of the very few animals that are capable of this.

Yes, he has clearly made the connection between you having the broom and the comment "messy bird". Now just wait until you spill something sometime and go to clean it up and he calls YOU a "messy bird"! :-)

They are quite amazing how they learn situations and appropriate comments and then will somehow connect the saying to different, but still appropriate, situations.

Some people spend a ton of time "training" their birds but I have found that just generally talking to them throughout the day and doing a variety of things with them will bring about an enormous amount of learning.

And 7 months old...that's pretty awesome!

Lisa

Definitely. The training goes both ways! LOL :laugh:

Especially the tilt-the-head, lift-the-foot, come-pick-me-up look. Kenya almost always gets her desired response to that one!

All that nonsense about "puppy dog eyes" ...they've got nothing on our Greys! :-)

Thats wonderful! Seven Months is young and Charlie is definitely associating the correct word with the action.

The more actions and items you name everytime you perform a task or offer a food item, the sooner he will start calling it by name. :-)

Example: Ask Dayo when eating a food, receiving scratches etc. - "Do you like that?", He responds -"Yes, I like that!". He learned this conversational skill through the use of the same phrase and response over and over by Kim and myself.

He will ask the same when he does something he thinks is worthy of a reward and we always respond with "Yes, I like that" or "No! I DON'T".

They are amazingly intelligent.

I think that like human kids, they all go at their own pace. Some don't say a word for two years and then start up with all sorts of crazy stuff (parrots and humans both!). And even if they never talk, they're spectacular companions. Two of my three don't talk and they're just as special and fun.

Lisa

Echo's got the speech to context down pat. Tells the parotlet Cricket or the conure Emmy to knock it off by name when they get carried away. "Em/Cricket... Knock it off." (if the don't stop usually followed by a "oh my god, shut up").

Now she put the words together herself. Birds names, shut up, knock it off, omg, shut up was all learned seperately mainly from yelling at the dogs and she'll tell one of them "Duffy" the same lines.

She'll get on the floor and say "get on you're cage" as she waddles and hops away.

She'll say "Michael" and I reply "what?" and she says "what are you doing?" or "love you" all learned seperately too.

There's a few others but you get the idea. It still amazes me how they learn independent words and form senteces with them.